Re: Tuning the scheduler? Desktop with a CPU-intensive task becomes rapidly unusable.

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 14:03 -0500, Jim Bryant wrote:
i just noticed this too... had a build going of qt-creator, and then
started a /usr/src make clean, and had to abort the qt-creator build to
get the make clean to finish. it was taking forever to even paint the
xterm in the make clean window.

This has been the state of -stable for at least an year, I have yet to
see a 7-stable machine that doesn't exhibit this behavior. This wasn't
the case with 7 in the very beginning and only started slowly building
up over time, particularly around the time of one specific xorg import -
which one it was? 7.4? I guess. Every bit of performance went down the
drain hole by that time and it's on that same level ever since (it's
rather easy to get used to it while working on a 7-stable desktop, but
would be nice having the old pre-ULE performance levels back, sometime).

On the other hand, at least from some of my observations, the terrible
desktop performance isn't strictly CPU-bound, I/O definitely has some
say in this. You can (you should, mileage may vary) see this by trying
to extract a few-GB archive in the background. While clearly no more
than a single CPU is ever occupied by that process (and there's few
other happily idling), you can spend waiting up to a few minutes just to
get a new application launched (or even just a running one getting
redrawn, in case part of it was swapped out at the moment).

But as I said, for 7-stable, this has been the case for a veeeeeery long
time.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)

  • Re: Wagner Paint Stick Thingies Any Good?
    ... continually dip into a tray, ... I don't have a Wagner brand, just some no-brand stick roller I picked ... stand on the floor and paint for 15 minutes before I need to refill the ... I was still able to clean everything but the curved tube that holds ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Crazy Clean or other cleaner on the backside of a backglass?
    ... we're looking for here is a mild solvent (like water) and a mild ... surfactant (one that works good on smoke, but doesn't affect paint). ... applied with lots of solvent and removed wet to not abrade the ... I like the idea of Scrubbing bubbles or Crazy Clean, ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: paint brush cleaning
    ... I use the solvent (such as acetone, ... or tolulene) recommended by the paint manufacturer. ... brush, clean up to the feral. ...
    (rec.boats.building)
  • Re: some beginners painting questions
    ... Or can I stick with a brush? ... roller, be sure to check the nap length and label....short nap for smooth ... Be sure to mix you paint with a stir stick immediately prior to ... Alkyd is a tad more trouble to clean up, ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Painting laminate kitchen cabinets
    ... My plan is to clean the cabinets, probably lightly sand the surface, then prime with Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer. ... paint with either latex-based or oil-based paint. ...
    (alt.home.repair)