Re: kpanic on install >32GB of RAM

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:52:00PM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 09:38 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 09:30 -0700, Boris Kochergin wrote:
On 10/15/10 12:27, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:04:53AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
So, trying to get a massively overpowered HP box up with 7.3 amd64
version up and running.

I can't tell at the moment, but it looks like the installer kernel is
having issues with>32GB of RAM in this box.

Are we using the i386 kernel on amd64 installs?
If you booted a FreeBSD image that has "amd64" in the ISO name, then the
kernel is actually 64-bit (amd64). The only i386 piece would be the
bootloader.

There's probably someone here who can help with the issue you describe,
as there's occasional posts here and there from people who experience
issues/problems when using very large amounts of RAM.

I've got an amd64 machine with 48 GB of RAM that has run 7, 8, and now
9, which leads me to believe that your issue is not solely related to
the amount of memory.

-Boris
__________

Edge case at 64G perhaps? That's the minimum you can get in the HP
DL980 apparently.

Sean

Hrm, no success today setting available RAM to 32G and reducing the
number of processors to 8.

I've disabled and tweaked pretty much everything available to me here
and have tried to boot up the fbsd 8 install media with the same result
as using the fbsd 7 media: Repeated and continuous panics on all
processors simultaneously after selecting install method from the boot
menu.

Not sure what to do at this point to get the system up and running.
Suggestions?

Can you boot a Linux liveCD installation of some sort for comparison?
That would possibly rule out OS vs. hardware/BIOS ordeals.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

  • Re: install woes
    ... looking at the Fedora 9 64bit DVD: ... I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I remember ... appended the kernel, probably post-install. ... but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Problems with Sarge on OldWorld 604e PowerMac: booting, quik, 2.6 kernel, etc.
    ... I'd like to use quik to boot this OldWorld 7300 PowerMac directly ... The problems arise when I want to install a 2.6 kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Where is the boot/config-`uname -r` file?
    ... This is the bootloader and before the kernel is started. ... Would it help if I copy this as is into the boot ... That is why it is empty. ... and I was able to install Debian. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: No keyboard at boot in Debian
    ... I was recently toying with my ATI drivers and a new kernel. ... I moved udev ... Try booting the good install and running fsck on the other / partition. ... This boot issue seems to affect previous kernels as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux Router & Fwall - old bios - wont mount root
    ... Both boot and swap are well within the first ... Once GRUB has loaded the kernel, ... With 9.3, you should be able to do about a 500MB install, ... which seems to indicate that you have a problem with the disk. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)