Re: [SOLVED] Re: labelling root file system (RELENG_8)

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:40:03PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
on 08/06/2011 19:26 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
I have the exact same question except not with regards to labels but
toggling TRIM capability on the root filesystem.

- Start system
- At loader, boot single-user (option 4)
- At prompt choose /bin/sh
- mount -a

I think that this is a culprit.

I'll try removing this step.

- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- fails

Shouldn't you have / mounted r/o here?
BTW, AFAIR, *re*-mounting root read-only won't help; it needs to have never been
mounted r/w.

I'm a little confused by this sentence, so my apologise in advance. /
is mounted read-only in single-user by default. Did you mean I should
make it r/w by doing "mount -u -o rw /" ? I may have omitted this step.

I will re-verify the exact procedure and exact steps in a moment, and
reply here.

- sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- works
- tunefs -p /dev/ada0s1a -- shows TRIM enabled
- reboot

I think that at this step your superblock on disk gets re-written with its copy in
memory which has never been updated. But not sure.

Hmm, I sure hope that isn't the case. That would mean the only time a
person can use tunefs on a root filesystem is when they either do it
manually during the FreeBSD installation (adding "-t" to the list of
newfs flags in the filesystem creation UI), or if they boot off of some
other medium (USB flash drive, CD, PXE, etc.).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |