Re: [SOLVED] Re: labelling root file system (RELENG_8)

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:40:03PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
on 08/06/2011 19:26 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
I have the exact same question except not with regards to labels but
toggling TRIM capability on the root filesystem.

- Start system
- At loader, boot single-user (option 4)
- At prompt choose /bin/sh
- mount -a

I think that this is a culprit.

I'll try removing this step.

- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- fails

Shouldn't you have / mounted r/o here?
BTW, AFAIR, *re*-mounting root read-only won't help; it needs to have never been
mounted r/w.

I'm a little confused by this sentence, so my apologise in advance. /
is mounted read-only in single-user by default. Did you mean I should
make it r/w by doing "mount -u -o rw /" ? I may have omitted this step.

I will re-verify the exact procedure and exact steps in a moment, and
reply here.

- sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- works
- tunefs -p /dev/ada0s1a -- shows TRIM enabled
- reboot

I think that at this step your superblock on disk gets re-written with its copy in
memory which has never been updated. But not sure.

Hmm, I sure hope that isn't the case. That would mean the only time a
person can use tunefs on a root filesystem is when they either do it
manually during the FreeBSD installation (adding "-t" to the list of
newfs flags in the filesystem creation UI), or if they boot off of some
other medium (USB flash drive, CD, PXE, etc.).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

  • Re: [SOLVED] Re: labelling root file system (RELENG_8)
    ... toggling TRIM capability on the root filesystem. ... At loader, boot single-user ... mount your root fs r/w if you want to do tunefs on it. ... Or when your root fs is mounted r/o, which is not as bad as what you listed above. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: klibc
    ... The rootfs is always there: ... > init runs from that rather than the root filesystem, ... Obvously, after a mount /, it is not. ... # exec the real init and begin the real boot process. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Fedora Core 3 Update: kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3
    ... I was in the middle of reporting problems with 1371 when 1372 came ... it can't mount the root filesystem. ... Mounting root filesystem ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fsck at boot, skip a disk ?
    ... single user mode still mounts all local file systems. ... order to edit /etc/fstab you'll have to remount the root filesystem ... then you'll need to mount /usr too. ...
    (Fedora)
  • DHCP net boot fails on V440
    ... It's failing to mount the root filesystem via the downloaded inetboot ... 1000 Mbps full duplex link up ... Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard ...
    (SunManagers)