upgrade to 8.3 from 7.2 static root mountpoint disappeared

I just did an upgrade from an old 7.2 installation to 8.3-RC2 last
night, and the kernel was only able to mount root from a ufsid label
and could not detect any bsdlabels. The 7.2 installation used static
bsdlabeled disks (/dev/ad0s1a etc). This seemed to be an unexpected
change (I had to get the remote datacenter to connect an ipkvm to fix
the problem), particularly because the 7.2 kernel never loaded
geom_label but somehow the partitions ended up with labels quite
mysteriously; the box was originally installed from 6.x-R from 2006.

  • RE: Installation of Red Hat
    ... Installation of Red Hat ... I have downloaded Linux 9 from Fedora but my attempts to get it running ... Subject: kernel sources... ... KDE allowed me to get in and check out the drives from the shell. ...
    (Fedora)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: various kernel problems (SUSE-SA:2004:044)
    ... The following paragraphs will guide you through the installation ... contain a binary kernel in bootable form. ... verify the authenticity of the kernel rpm package using the methods as ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: various kernel problems (SUSE-SA:2004:044)
    ... The following paragraphs will guide you through the installation ... contain a binary kernel in bootable form. ... verify the authenticity of the kernel rpm package using the methods as ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Redhat 7.2 and Nvidia
    ... Sound Card and Ethernet are on-board NVIDIA chipsets. ... Unfortunately, during the installation, it's said that no precompiled kernel ... Cleaning kernel module build directory. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • RE: XP/ FC1 on inspiron 5150
    ... but could you give me the settings that you used during the first ... And was the NIC detected during the installation? ... >> and some kernel recompilation will be needed. ... > The only things that I don't have working yet are the internal modem, ...
    (Fedora)