-DNO_CLEAN compiling & recent changes as of ~two weeks.

Somewhere is the last two weeks it seems something has changed on
8-STABLE that causes a complete rebuild of the kernel every time it is
built.

While this is not too much of a problem, it is quite a neusense when
attempting to make a quick change that would only require a recompile of
the effected code and relink that would only amount to about 5 or 10
minutes.

I am running FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #0 r234692 i386 where this has been an
issue. The earliest part of the kernel I always see compile is ACPI code
if that helps to determine the problem.

A few committs that I picked out that might cause it but only a guess
is... (I could be wrong about these)

After 8.3-RELEASE
r234634
r234631
r234604

Before 8.3-RELEASE
r234534
r234512
r234509

Maybe just a text or data relocation issue ? Has anyone else noticed this ?

To test after a full build of kernel #0.

1) Change config ROUTETABLES={ROUTETABLES+1}
2) cd /usr/src
3) time -h make -DNO_CLEAN buildkernel

This should only take a few minutes as an example only recompiling what
only is needed.

--

- (2^(N-1))

  • Re: kernel source for fedora
    ... Thufir Hawat wrote: ... you're on the level, things are very strange. ... your kernel and networking and yet you don't know what an ISO image is? ... Why do you think you have to recompile, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: relativity is like Linux
    ... >>>then you need to reconfig, recompile, etc ... I haven't compiled a kernel ... >you may use my code and programs you fool, ... >are you calling it a distro, i build my distro, you are fool, thank ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: The ext3 way of journalling
    ... may damage your filesystem; Only an FSCK can see how much of damage is ... Another typical FOSS answer. ... Compiling the Linux kernel is too painful. ... And recompile and recompile and recompile ad infinitum, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to ... Sheesh, Unruh! ... it's got decent community support. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • RE: adding new hardware
    ... I was afraid somebody was going to say this (recompile the kernel). ... stage of the installation (modprobe ndiswrapper), ... Unfortunately, the driver didn't. ...
    (RedHat)