[HPADM] couldn't query physical volume

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor_at_Schnucks.com)
Date: 09/03/03

    To: "'Hpux-Admin@Dutchworks. Nl (E-mail)'" <hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl>
    Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:56:18 -0500

    Good Day All,
    We have several HP9000 (rp7400, N4000, K370) systems running HP-UX 11.0
    connect to an EMC Sym5 via an EMC Connectrix Fibre switch. Last week EMC
    came in to remove two 2-port fibre cards and replace them with two 4-port
    fibre cards in order to set up for an SRDF connection to a remote site. We
    were informed that we would lose one of our fibre paths permanently and the
    wwn would change on another path. We have 3 fibre card connections on each
    HP. I was able to fix the path that the wwn changed but on a couple of
    systems I am getting the following errors when I do a vgdisplay -v:

    vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c32t0d7":
    The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
    this volume group
    vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.

    It only affects a couple of volume groups. The devices I am getting the
    errors on appear in the /etc/lvmtab. I tried to do a vgreduce but It
    basically gives me the same error. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I though about doing a vgscan but I have heard that this is not a safe thing
    to do and to only use as a last resort. I am trying to avoid doing a
    vgexport/vgimport.

    Thanks,
    Jim Naylor
    Unix Systems Administrator