[HPADM] Failed hardware upgrading of L1000 to L3000

From: Joe Brancaleone (joe_at_nitech.com)
Date: 01/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:22:53 -0800
    To: "Hpux-Admin@Dutchworks. Nl (E-mail)" <hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl>

    Dear list,

    We purchased hardware components in order to upgrade an older L1500 to
    an L3000 (new CPU's, memory carrier, motherboard, disk drive backplane,
    pci IO board, new sheet metal, etc. etc.), which is something I haven't
    had to do before. After the meticulous hardware swapping, the server was
    rendered unbootable with software errors. After replacing all the old
    equipment and booting successfully, we saw that the hardware enablement
    patches were so old (June 2001) it would not support this hardware
    upgrade. The documentation states Sep. 2001 is the absolute earliest
    hardware enablement release which supports this particular upgrade. Big
    mistake for not checking on this ahead of time.

    Well we then performed the Sep. 2003 HW enablement patch update, but
    booting back into the OS was again unsuccessful, with Software Level
    Alerts in the GSP error log such as these before it forced reboot:

    > ************* SYSTEM ALERT **************
    > SYSTEM NAME: uninitialized
    > DATE: 01/07/2004 TIME: 04:54:21
    > ALERT LEVEL: 12 = Software failure
    > REASON FOR ALERT
    > SOURCE: 1 = processor
    > SOURCE DETAIL: 1 = processor general SOURCE ID: 0
    > PROBLEM DETAIL: 0 = no problem detail
    > LEDs: RUN ATTENTION FAULT REMOTE POWER
    > FLASH FLASH OFF ON ON
    > 0xF8E000C01100B800 00000000 0000B800 - type 31 = legacy PA HEX
    > chassis-code
    > 0x58E008C01100B800 00006800 07043615 - type 11 = Timestamp 01/07/2004
    > 04:54:21
    > ************* SYSTEM ALERT **************
    > SYSTEM NAME: uninitialized
    > DATE: 01/07/2004 TIME: 04:54:21
    > ALERT LEVEL: 12 = Software failure
    > REASON FOR ALERT
    > SOURCE: 1 = processor
    > SOURCE DETAIL: 1 = processor general SOURCE ID: 0
    > PROBLEM DETAIL: 0 = no problem detail
    > LEDs: RUN ATTENTION FAULT REMOTE POWER
    > OFF FLASH OFF ON ON
    > 0xA0E000C01100B000 00000000 000005E9 - type 20 = major change in
    > system state
    > 0x58E008C01100B000 00006800 07043615 - type 11 = Timestamp 01/07/2004
    > 04:54:21

     I had to boot to the old vmunix.prev kernel and uninstall the HW
    Enablement bundle in order to make the server bootable again.

    Why would the HW enablement bundle cause the kernel to be unbootable?
    Does something else need updating first on this old system? Another
    patch bundle before the HW Enablement patch bundle? Is a system firmware
    update or GSP firmware update necessary first of all? Is there a
    document that more fully explains the sequence of updates neccessary?
    It's difficult to keep doing the trial and error method when all we have
    are after hours for server downtime.

    The system's Firmware Version is 41.39, GSP Firmware Revision is A.01.06

    Thanks in advance.
    joe

    --
    Joe Brancaleone
    Support Technician

    • Re: Will A WindowsXP Upgrade Repair Win98 Problems
      ... I think you have to consider the "Upgrade" option as being a gamble in any ... hardware of course. ... first download and burn SP2 onto CD so you can install that before even ... your system to XP and hopefully resolve the problem that way. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Will A WindowsXP Upgrade Repair Win98 Problems
      ... that it is I would agree that an XP upgrade would be a useless endeavor. ... host of reasons - both software & hardware. ... your system to XP and hopefully resolve the problem that way. ... of your HDD before undertaking the upgrade. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: MS Licensing
      ... You might consider upgrading the hardware in those computers having the ... OEM installs of Windows. ... HARDWARE is a single computer system, or shall mean the computer system ... drive and then upgrade it. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Java and avoiding software piracy?
      ... but in practice every few weeks Microsoft upgrades ... over your hardware and much less freedom to administer your machine as ... through a hardware or OS upgrade. ... as being an advantage to anyone except the vendor. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • RE: RH 10
      ... I said that if WANT the leading edge features, ... need to upgrade. ... like the footprint, or ship it and give you an estimate as to what it takes ... you want the latest features on old hardware. ...
      (RedHat)