[HPADM] Summary: 'uname -r' Output for HP-UX 11.11 Ver 2

From: Illgen Steve 448 (steve.illgen_at_crackerbarrel.com)
Date: 03/09/05

    To: "'hpux-admin@DutchWorks.nl'" <hpux-admin@DutchWorks.nl>
    Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:52:05 -0600

    Thanks to Jeff Lightner for his quick reply.

    I got my versions mixed up. HP-UX 11i Version 1 is HP-UX 11.11. HP-UX 11i
    version 2 is HP-UX 11.23 for both PA-RISC and Itanium systems. Therefore,
    the output of 'uname -r' will be different for both versions.

    I'm including Jeff's reply because it gives some additional details which
    maybe of interest to others.

    Thanks,

    Steven Illgen
    Unix Systems Administrator
    Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.
    "Pass the Biscuits, Please!"

    == Jeff's Reply:

    I don't think this is correct. You're confusing 11i and 11.11.
    From my experience:
    11.11 = 11i Version 1
    11.23 = 11i Version 2 (for Itanium)
    Doing Google I found History of releases at:
    <http://www.unixguide.net/hp/faq/3.3.shtml>
    This included the following regarding 11i
    :
    HP-UX 11.11 and later is marketed as "HP-UX 11i." The "i" stands for
    "Internet." Here are the mappings from 11i versions to HP-UX versions
    as reported by uname:

    11i version Uname version CPU arch. Description
    1.0 11.11 PA OE Release
    1.5 11.20 IPF Itanium Release
    1.6 11.22 IPF Consolidation Release
    2.3 11.23 PA+IPF Independence Release

    3.0 11.30 PA+IPF Independence Release

    Notice that once the IA64 and PA64 branches merge back together in 11.23,
    the versions will correlate better with each other, and are expected to
    maintain this correlation beyond this point.
    Based on above it appears it would show 11.23 in PA-RISC as well

    • Re: function definition syntax
      ... Same result in HP-UX 11.11: ... $ uname -rsvm ... sh: typeset: execute permission denied ... With ksh it gives the same result as sh in newer ones. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • HP-UX version/release numbers, how ?
      ... me the version and release numbers of HP-UX during compiler runs, ... but unfortunately HP's "uname" implementation is braindead. ... Is there an equivalent on HP-UX? ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)