[HPADM] Fwd: SHMMAX kernel variable
- From: "Stephanie C" <stepchung@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:54:28 -0700
Sorry to post this message on this list. It has some thing to do with Data
Protector on HP-UX cell manager server that related with Solaris. Does any
one know a solaris email user group that I could use. Thanks.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Schupsky, Mark D <mark.d.schupsky@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sep 19, 2006 10:29 AM
Subject: RE: [HPADM] SHMMAX kernel variable
To: Stephanie C <stepchung@xxxxxxxxx>
Umm, wrong list. But I have this entry on one of our Solaris 8 machine's
I'm pretty sure all you do is edit that file and reboot to put it into
*From:* hpux-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:
hpux-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Stephanie C
*Sent:* Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:49 PM
*To:* HP-UX Group
*Subject:* [HPADM] SHMMAX kernel variable
I have the following error on HP-UX Data Protector (Omni Back) backup when
it tried to do the backup Solaris 8 server:
"Cannot allocate/attach shared memory (IPC Cannot Create Shared Memory
System error:  Invalid argument ) => aborting."
I googled this error and it shows the problem with "The backup fails because
the SHMMAX kernel variable, which limits the maximum size of shared memory
I am new with Solaris and never changed its kernel settings. Googled tells
me to change in /etc/system file and reboot the system. My solaris 8
/etc/system file does not have any kernel parameters in it.
My Solaris questions:
- How do I know what is the current value of kernel setting? (some kernel
display like sam in hp-ux?...)
- How to set the kernel in /etc/system file?
- What is the correct/appropriate value to set for the kernel? and how to
calculate the value?
- Is there a way to set the kernel without system reboot?
Thanks for the help.
- Prev by Date: [HPADM] SHMMAX kernel variable
- Next by Date: [HPADM] Problem changing filesystem for audit file
- Previous by thread: [HPADM] SHMMAX kernel variable
- Next by thread: [HPADM] Problem changing filesystem for audit file