DNS / TCP-IP related Problem on Solaris 8

From: John Kelly (john.b.kelly_at_ul.ie)
Date: 05/28/03

    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:01:35 +0100
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Hello All,

    I've just upgraded an Ultra 1 to Solaris 8 and I can't seem to get
    nslookup, telnet etc. to function correctly e.g. telnet gives "unknown
    host", even for machines on the same subnet, nslookup hangs etc. I've
    checked most of the obvious TCP-IP related files e.g. /etc/hosts ,
    /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/defaultrouter, /etc/netmasks etc. and most of
    these seem to be the same (i.e. appropriate information for the host in
    question in the same place) as other machines which are functioning
    successfully with respect to the above functionality... any ideas on
    what's the best way of troubleshooting / resolving this? I've checked
    obvious stuff such as the physical network connection point etc.

    Thanks,
    John Kelly.