DNS / TCP-IP related Problem on Solaris 8

From: John Kelly (john.b.kelly_at_ul.ie)
Date: 05/28/03

    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:01:35 +0100
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Hello All,

    I've just upgraded an Ultra 1 to Solaris 8 and I can't seem to get
    nslookup, telnet etc. to function correctly e.g. telnet gives "unknown
    host", even for machines on the same subnet, nslookup hangs etc. I've
    checked most of the obvious TCP-IP related files e.g. /etc/hosts ,
    /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/defaultrouter, /etc/netmasks etc. and most of
    these seem to be the same (i.e. appropriate information for the host in
    question in the same place) as other machines which are functioning
    successfully with respect to the above functionality... any ideas on
    what's the best way of troubleshooting / resolving this? I've checked
    obvious stuff such as the physical network connection point etc.

    Thanks,
    John Kelly.

    • Re: Cannot access a web page
      ... Could not open connection to the host on port 80 connect failed. ... Then you can use telnet to test with. ... > You can also use nslookup to check on your DNS. ...
    • Re: IE & Router problem
      ... got the same results as per your note for nslookup and ipconfig commands. ... then cannot find the host. ... E.g. using telnet 80 here is what I get from a GET / to it ...
    • some dnsmasq problems
      ... I just installed dnsmasq at home and I have a strange problem. ... external interface and the /etc/hosts contains the local machines: ... And here telnet resolves myname.mydomain ... are host and other linux programs using different ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails
      ... If you try to telnet to port 25 from another subnet with this rule ... Run some tests with swaks ... host -t a theResultNameFromPreviousCmd ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Real terminal + SimH + telnet
      ... Between the Xterminal and the Unix host, it uses the X protocol and TCP. ... Between the unix host and the telnet target it also uses TCP. ... When it gets to VMS, because a telet terminal doesn't ... DCL which likely ignores those characters. ...
      (comp.os.vms)