SUMMARY Sun V210 and V240 resets spontaneously within jumpstart postinstall script

From: Andreas Klemm (andreas_at_apsfilter.org)
Date: 06/26/03

    Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:02:46 +0200
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Hi,

    after further troubleshooting I found out that luckily the
    hardware is not the culprit !!! There simply was no fault ;-)

    Well .. the machines are so blindingly fast, that they
    reached my last postinstall script with an "init 6"
    statement, that the serial interface was not quick enough
    to empty all of its buffer contents with 9600 Baud ;-)

    And I misinterpreted the usual LOM message informing you,
    that a reset occurred ... I thought the machine had severe
    problem, instead of this it was simply the result of the "init 6".

    But it was really irritating, since it didn't seem to be too
    much output for 9600 Baud at the first look.

    I added now a sleep 5 after every of the 26 postinstall
    scripts and a sleep 30 before performing the "init 6".

    Well thats certainly more than enough (overkill), but
    I wanted to be sure to not miss anything.

    No reply could solve my problem, but an interesting
    answer came from Harold Reinstein, who really had such
    a jumpstart problem with a certain Solaris/Hardware
    combination, therefore I want to mention it:

    %-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: "HAROLD REINSTEIN, BLOOMBERG/ 700 COLLE" <HREINSTEIN@bloomberg.net>

    I think we had a similar issue with V480.
    We had to use solaris 8 2/02 to jumpstart it.

    %-------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Andreas ///

    --
    Andreas Klemm
    Apsfilter Homepage                  http://www.apsfilter.org

    • Re: Machine Replication
      ... No. g4u and a script might do a good job for you if your hardware is ... > custom network images that I could blast to any system just by pxebooting ... Linux machines which need the dongle boxes to support video and keyboard. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: OT: my new PC rocks!!
      ... "hardware mix and match" for home users, where they could slot in any ... that with the PC's delibrately "loose" architecture then machines ... slowness of Windows software to cater for something that no-one seems ... The only advatange of Microsoft stuff; The installs tend to be less ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: Need tutorials, guides... However...
      ... performance loss you'll get from an OS like Windows or Linux. ... machines out there have gone off in many different directions. ... expect to find certain hardware at certain addressess. ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: [help] 1 cpu to rule them all
      ... >> configuration and maintenance in one place is a lot more economical than ... it isn't the price of the hardware that makes it ... > You can make things easier by having lots of machines that are virtually ... > directories) on servers. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • CDO message with attachment problems
      ... It works fine on other machines on this network as well as other machines on ... Script to Email attachment hangs on the AddAttachment statement ... Script to Email attachment hangs on the AddAttachment statement ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)