SUMMARY: Adding static routes

From: Claudio Lapidus (clapidus_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/15/03

    To: <sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org>
    Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:58:23 -0300

    ----- Original Message -----
    > What is the proper place to configure static routes for a Solaris host? I
    > mean, besides the default gateway configured in /etc/defaultrouter...
    >
    > I need to add a second static to point to a certain net via a dedicated
    > gateway. I checked SunDocs but I've been unable to find anything
    pertinent.

    There is general consensus in adding a script like this one:

    $ cat /etc/rc2.d/S76static-routes
    #!/bin/sh
    route add -net ...
    route add -net ...

    The exact number may vary a bit, but the idea is to get it executed just
    after IP services are up, so any application that might come afterwards find
    the routes already in place.

    Also, many people point out that there seems to have no standard provision
    in Solaris for this task, lacking a dedicated file for this purpose like
    other Unices have.

    Thank you *very* much to all who responded, including Judith Reed, Mark, Jon
    Polak, Michael Peters, Peter Ondruska, Mike Sandler, Russell Page, Siva
    Santhakumar, Andrew Caines, Steven Haywood, David Harrington, Steve Starer,
    Eliezer Ramm, Reggie Beavers, Matthew Westover, Charles Homan, Andres Rojas,
    Charlotte Ratliff, Andrew Rotramel and Alan Pae.

    As usual, responses started to came back after 8 minutes! Now go and get
    that from a commercial support :)

    thanks again
    cl.

    • Re: VPN Server HELP!
      ... I have a windows 2000 vpn server which is updating its static routes ... > configuration for Routing and Remote Access, the Static Routes under IP ... User accounts don't have IP addresses, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: Default Gateway Setting not set after Reboot
      ... If you are pinging from machine in the same subnet as ... > D. All other possible routes are handled by using Static Routes in the ... > Routing Table or by the use of Routing Protocols such as RIP, IGRP, etc. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: Direct Dial Routing Issue
      ... It almost certainly is the static routes on the ... > I believe the issue I'm having is with the static routing. ... > 172.16.0.0/23 to be routed to the RRAS/VPN server. ... Here are the static routes that were setup in RRAS ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
    • Re: PPTP Site-to-Site VPN problem
      ... The static routes on the RRAS servers were and actually are setup in the ... RRAS MMC using the wizard and *are* linked to the demand-dial interface. ... This is true for both servers. ...
    • Static Routing in Aix V 5.2
      ... In aix v5.2, if I define static routes with smit, will this static ...
      (comp.unix.aix)