Cannot create SSLMutex

From: William Robertson (willi_robs_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/01/03

    Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Hello SunManagers

    I am trying to build a secured apache site using
    openssl and chroot:

    - Httpd-2.0.47
    - OpenSSL 0.9.7b
    - Chroot

    When I run httpd using ssl without chroot things work
    fine, and when I run httpd using chroot without ssl
    things work fine also. The problem that I have is when
    I try to chroot httpd and use ssl at the same time,
    httpd wont start. The error message from the
    /usr/local/apache/log file I get says No such file
    or directory: Cannot create SSLMutex.

    So I decided to do the followings:
    - Created the file /apache/logs/ssl_mutex but I keep
    getting the same error message.
    - Modified the .../apache/conf/ssl.conf and uncomment
    the line that says SSLMutex file:logs/ssl_mutex but
    keep getting the same message. I even changed this
    SSLMutex file:/full_path/logs/ssl_mutex but keep
    getting the same message. Somehow I think this line is
    being ignored but I dont know why I keep getting the
    same error message.

    This is the command that I use to run httpd:
    chroot /chroot/httpd/ /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
    -DSSL

    So, is it possible that I can chroot an httpd with ssl
    capability? If yes, what I am doing wrong? Eventhough
    I found some information on Google about SSLMutex,
    none has solved my problem

    Thank you

    • Re: a little SSL help?
      ... Subject: a little SSL help? ... > If I issue a self signed cert, it works fine, but when I put in the valid ... > signed cert, httpd fails startup. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [SLE] Security, ssh/vpn into a network
      ... find some way to chroot it, no ports have been opened, I only put in a ... Or if I add WebVPN so you would have a ssl into my network. ... Vmware is not that secure either. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [Fwd: Re: Problems with httpd after upgrating to FC3]
      ... I've first disabled ssl and the started httpd ... I've enabled ssl again and restarted httpd... ... >> Giuseppe Greco ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: HTTPD, hacked Help?
      ... "the httpd and httpsd error logs are the most ... I am not using SSL ... and it is easy to attach if you don't find the problem. ...
      (Fedora)
    • [Fwd: Chroot httpd problem]
      ... I am trying to chroot my httpd and so far has not been successful getting ... user/group to the user/group I want it to run as. ... for are both in the original location and the chroot directory. ...
      (Fedora)