Urgent: /bin/passwd: Permission denied

From: Lars Hecking (lhecking_at_nmrc.ucc.ie)
Date: 12/02/03

    Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:14:56 +0000
    To: "'sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org'" <sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org>

    # whoami
    root
    # passwd user
    New Password:
    Re-enter new Password:
    Permission denied
    #

     What could be the problem? I tried to truss the process, but couldn't
     spot anything useful?

     This is on our NIS server, running Solaris 9 8/03.

    • permission denied changing passwd (no NIS)
      ... When root tries to change a user's password the only result is ... Re-enter new Password: ... I've trussed the command: ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Unable To Change Passwords
      ... Re-enter new Password: ... Cant change password for any user including root. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • [opensuse] 10.3 password conditions
      ... Still working through issues on a 10.3 install. ... If I run as root (or probably as a normal user) the thing periodically requires me to re-enter the password. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Long process list
      ... target has corrupted argument list ... Both systems as root or otherwise. ... a truss of the process seems ok at first glance. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Password problem
      ... Login as root ... passwd user 'your_new_pass' ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ...
      (Fedora)