Forcing Stronger Passwords

From: Robert Geiger (nebraska57_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/25/04

    Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:25:14 -0800 (PST)
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Hello, All...

    OK, I think I'm so close to having an answer to this,
    but can't seem to make the final step. I'm cracking
    down on the lame passwords people have been selecting
    and I know I can achieve that through PAM and via
    /etc/pam.conf -- but for the life of me I can't figure
    out how to get it done.

    I know it has to have something to do with an extended
    Password Management module that forces something like
    a dictionary check, but I'm at a loss at this point.
    We're mostly Solaris 8 with a few 9 installations and
    a few legacy 2.6 systems.

    Right now, the default config forces a password of at
    least 6 characters and at least one numeric or special
    character... But that's not enough as someone could
    still get away with their first or last name and just
    add a number to it -- which John the Ripper gets in
    about 5 seconds!

    Can anyone help with some advice on how to further
    strengthen my systems' password checking?

    Many thanks in advance -- will summarize as this has
    been incredibly hard to get detailed information on!

    James

    • Re: yahoo mail wont work at all
      ... Or format of the server name? ... characters for 'denshi', plus the 'katakana' characters for 'mail' ... You _do_ have to subscribe to Yahoo! ...
    • Re: [PHP] storing japanese in mysql (or pgsql)
      ... > I'm working on a small study aid for myself (and anyone else that wants ... > characters in a MySQL or pgsql db. ... Do You Yahoo!? ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: match file name at end of a http url
      ... Please let me know in case you find any bugs in this ... characters after the first slash are ... Do You Yahoo!? ... Mail has the best spam protection around ...
      (perl.beginners)
    • Re: Anyone having this problem?
      ... > It's an anti-spam strategy implemented by Yahoo. ... > Spambots can't "read" and respond to the dialog ... >> asked to type the characters into a blank line before the mail would ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)