Changed host id but software does not work-

From: m i (i_869_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/22/04

    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org
    Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 03:03:07 +0000

    Hello!!!

    I'm running Solaris 8 on a Ultra 5.
    I looked at http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html and
    successfully changed the hostid on the Ultra 5.

    But when transferring a software package from one system to another (both
    systems being Sun4u architecture) the software package failed stating "Not
    valid license key."

    1) Does this host id change work on solaris 8?
    The squirrel url does not mention newer versions of solaris only older ones.

    2) What have your experiences been:
       i) with regards to a successful host id change but the software which you
    want transferring from one system to another not working?

    Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

    SM
    ps
    my first post & will post a SUMMARY

    • Re: Solaris impossible to use for desktop
      ... supported by Sun these days, and in general it tends to render IE ... > kernel or even FreeBSD 5 outperforms Solaris here even on a Pentium ... I myself have noticed poor interactive response on Ultra 5 ... Regarding Linux emulation, there shouldn't be any reason that trying ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: SCSA certification test lab suggestions
      ... I have both an Intel box running Solaris 8 and a Sun Ultra 10 also running ... Ultra 10 from EBay, with a 4.2g drive and 256mb RAM. ... video connection, typically only a serial connection for a terminal. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Newbie - Printing to Laserjet on Solaris 10
      ... Got two Ultra 10's running sol10 for web development and serving a small website/mysql database via Apache. ... Why is it so complex on Solaris?? ... try Solaris native HP support. ... ANSI X3-64 prescribed standards for terminals and printers. ...
      (comp.sys.sun.admin)
    • Re: Choose solaris for ultra10
      ... I´ve just bought a Sun Ultra 10, and I´m still waiting to it arrive ... I would like to use solaris 10, ... My ultra specs: ... be used with a lot more than just two disks, ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Are Ultra 20s suitable for sysadmin training?
      ... media from Sun. ... I was wondering if the Ultra 20 would be suitable for sysadmin training ... provide team members with an Ultra 20, multiple disk drives and Solaris ... If they have reasonable machines already running Windows, say, I'd be ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)