associating semaphores with processes

From: LaMere, Brian (N-Innovantage) (brian.lamere_at_lmco.com)
Date: 08/24/04

    Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:15:38 -0400
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Greetings. I'm here to ask an age-old question that has an answer on some platforms, but if memory serves it doesn't have a good one on Solaris.

    Doing an "ipcs -sp" will return a list that looks like:

    IPC status from <running system> as of Tue Aug 24 08:50:49 EDT 2004
    T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP CREATOR CGROUP NSEMS OTIME CTIME
    Semaphores:
    s 0 0x00000000 ----------- root root root root 1 8:50:10 11:53:18

    Etc (note that I removed the key and mode).

    I realize that one can get the PID for shared memory segments with "ipcs -mp" but I am not trying to get shared memory info - I want to know what started the semaphores that are running. There's no reason that I can think of, other than an someone sneaking on and abruptly killing a process, that all the semaphores on my system should be taken up. I realize that I can easily increase the number in /etc/system, but that would require a reboot. I'd prefer to know what these belong (belonged) to, stop that behaviour, and free up the semaphores. Rebooting the system for a kernel change to take place can only be looked at as a last option.

    I suspect adb on /dev/mem is the key? But I'm not completely sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your help.

    Brian LaMere