associating semaphores with processes

From: LaMere, Brian (N-Innovantage) (brian.lamere_at_lmco.com)
Date: 08/24/04

    Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:15:38 -0400
    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org

    Greetings. I'm here to ask an age-old question that has an answer on some platforms, but if memory serves it doesn't have a good one on Solaris.

    Doing an "ipcs -sp" will return a list that looks like:

    IPC status from <running system> as of Tue Aug 24 08:50:49 EDT 2004
    T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP CREATOR CGROUP NSEMS OTIME CTIME
    Semaphores:
    s 0 0x00000000 ----------- root root root root 1 8:50:10 11:53:18

    Etc (note that I removed the key and mode).

    I realize that one can get the PID for shared memory segments with "ipcs -mp" but I am not trying to get shared memory info - I want to know what started the semaphores that are running. There's no reason that I can think of, other than an someone sneaking on and abruptly killing a process, that all the semaphores on my system should be taken up. I realize that I can easily increase the number in /etc/system, but that would require a reboot. I'd prefer to know what these belong (belonged) to, stop that behaviour, and free up the semaphores. Rebooting the system for a kernel change to take place can only be looked at as a last option.

    I suspect adb on /dev/mem is the key? But I'm not completely sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your help.

    Brian LaMere

    • Re: What happens in _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined differently in different compilation units?
      ... OS X, all the BSDs, and Solaris expose almost everything by default. ... code break on half your platforms. ... conforms to the version of the standard you specified (e.g. ... Or two POSIX facilities mutually exclusive to different flavors, ...
      (comp.unix.programmer)
    • Re: Things to consider for a truly portable shell script
      ... HP-UX PA, HP-UX IA, Solaris sparc, Solaris x86, AIX, Linux x86, Linux ... then is perl available by default on all the platforms I ... that doesn't work on some system, blame the Unix vendor or the ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: Are .pyc files portable?
      ... We build on a lot of different platforms, but Solaris ... If the Sol 10 tests run first, and create .pyc files, will ... The python binary is a build of 2.5.1 that we did on Solaris 8. ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: [OT] Re: C Syntax
      ... >universal solution for all vi clones, that's no reason to ignore those ... platforms. ... It is already bad enough that Solaris comes with an ancient, ... Dan Pop ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Fast cheap SPARC hardware.
      ... x86 is a target, but there will also be inconsistencies between SPARC ... If identical results are required on all platforms, ... I'd not really thought about running Solaris 10 on the ... One Solaris 10 Sun do not ship the libraries, ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)