SUMMARY: Hard drive swap out in an Ultra 10?

From: ert weerr (sun1sol_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/30/04

    Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:20:44 -0800 (PST)
    To: Sunmanagers <sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org>

    Guys,

    Thanks for the help!
    Eventually I bought a 80G WD drive and tried to
    install the OS.
    The system, for some reasons just detected the
    drive as a 40G one, but I could create the slices
    and install Solaris 8 on the drive.

    The box is still working however I have no idea
    what should I install or change to get the system
    to see the whole drive...

    Thanks again for the help!

    Regards,

    John

    --- Tim Chipman <chipman@ecopiabio.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > A regular "parallel EIDE" drive (ie, something that
    > they do NOT call
    > "serial-ATA") should work fine. Assuming you are
    > using solaris8,
    > anything up to 120gigs should be supported easily.
    > Above this size,
    > things can become complicated, the HDD controller
    > doesn't support
    > extra-large devices so you don't have access to the
    > space abouve ~130
    > gig anyhow, and config is a bit messier, so best
    > avoided IMHO. ATA
    > 100,133, etc are all "backwards compatible" so don't
    > worry about this
    > spec in any way.
    >
    > IIRC, the HDD should be jumpered "master/slave" -
    > just look at how the
    > part is configured that you are removing.
    >
    > Also note, if you are using something pre-solaris8
    > as the OS, "large"
    > HDDs (>20 gig) may also cause some fun with setup.
    >
    > Typically, when installing a new HDD, my procedure
    > is,
    >
    > -get a 7200rpm part with 8mb cache if possible, go
    > for a good brand with
    > 3-5 year warranty (seagate or maybe WD, but not
    > maxtor typically)
    > -jumper the HDD the same as the part it replaces
    > -boot from solaris installer cd "1", if required run
    > "devlinks" and
    > "disks" OR devfsadm
    > -run "format" and confirm the device is seen, it
    > will complain about a
    > non-solaris disk label possibly
    > -"label" the disk
    > -quit format, run again, create slice layout you
    > want. Save layout.
    > -exit format, newfs the slices, restore from backup
    > or proceed with
    > clean install of OS.
    >
    > I've installed generic 3rd party IDE disks into
    > ultra5 and blade100
    > regularly, no problems at all.
    >
    > HTH,
    >

    > Tim
    >
    > ert weerr wrote:
    >
    > >Guys,
    > >
    > >I have to swap out a hard drive in an Ultra10
    > >workstation.
    > >
    > >Can I buy any IDE drive in the local computer
    > store?
    > >As I see there are so many different IDE interfaces
    > >so I'm a bit uncertain if the system could use a
    > new
    > >drive with ATA-100 or SATA interface...
    > >
    > >Could you please advice what drive I should buy?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >
    > >John

    • Re: ide disk not found on SATA port
      ... So, he bought a IDE ... Although - to be truthful - if the motherboard is not recognizing the ... Install your brother's present PATA HDD in a USB external hard drive ... Check his motherboard user's guide to see if it's necessary to install ...
    • Re: New build - halt on ACPI Controller
      ... on the hdd from a previous install attempt. ... landed up using the rear panel mains isolator switch to switch it off as ... The use of partition analysis and repair tools unearthed a further two ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • Re: Xp install problem
      ... Anna wrote: ... I am attempting to install xp after fitting a new HDD following a "failure" of the old one. ... When I reach the point during the install where the "install devices" starts, I get the stop code 0x000000BE. ... If so, it would be worthwhile to remove the graphics card, ensure your onboard graphics capability is enabled and see if the install will succeed. ...
    • Re: Help, HDD is working only on Ultra DMA mode 4
      ... No, I have HDD on primary IDE cable, and two optical drives on secondary IDE ... HDD is working only on Ultra DMA mode 4 with default ... but It doesnt work (windows was unable to install this driver). ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: Xp install problem
      ... I am attempting to install xp after fitting a new HDD following a "failure" of the old one. ... When I reach the point during the install where the "install devices" starts, I get the stop code 0x000000BE. ... If so, it would be worthwhile to remove the graphics card, ensure your onboard graphics capability is enabled and see if the install will succeed. ... You're certain all your connections & configuration of components including the new HDD are proper and your motherboard is properly seated? ...