Followup: Fixing inode error on mirrored Root disks.

JimLaPeer_at_ferris.edu
Date: 06/03/05

    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org
    Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:38:53 -0400

    More followup here than Summary - I will summarize when I can complete the
    fix (about two weeks):

    The process utilized last night to fix the inode error on a Mirrored
    metadevice started with a boot from a Solaris Installation cdrom. This
    boot (OK> boot cdrom -s) did not work (see below messages), and things
    automatically proceeded into a normal boot. (and with that I lost my
    change window!)

    The cdrom boot error messages were:

    failed to read superblock.
    failed to read superblock.
    Boot load failed.

    I am still researching these messages... The planned procedure to fix the
    inode problem looks like this:

    d10=Mirror
    d11=SubMirror
    d12=SubMirror

    Process Steps:
    1.) Init system into OBP
          init 0
    2.) Boot system off CDROM, single-user mode
          Solaris Install CD #1
          boot cdrom -s
    3.) Detach one of the sub-mirrors.
          /usr/sbin/metadetach d10 d11 (detach d11 SubMirror from
    d10 Mirror.)
    4.) Run fsck against the remaining (attached) sub-mirror.
          Make sure that root partition is unmounted.
          fsck -y -o f /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 (will fsck by default
    remaining attached submirror d12.)
    5.) Init system into OBP
          sync
          init 0
    6.) Boot system normally (note: system will come up normally, but not
    mirrored)
          boot
    7.) Perform a metaattach command, to attach the 'un-attached' sub-mirror.
    This will sync up the unattached submirror, fixing the inode problem. May
    take couple hours.
          /usr/sbin/metattach d10 d12 (reattach & resync d12 SubMirror
    to d10 Mirror.)
          /usr/sbin/metastat | grep Resync (check current percentage
    of resync completion.)
    8.) When completed, system is ready; Reboot optional?

    My next change window is in two weeks; If the above works, I will be
    summarizing that way. Much thanks to all the folks that offered help on
    this - I'm learning a lot!

    Jim LaPeer
    Ferris State University
    Big Rapids, MI
    ________________

    I'm fairly new to Solaris administration... (Retread IBM Mainframe sysprog)

    We have observed the following error message on one of our V1280 servers
    that has a mirrored Root partition. This server is running Solaris 9,
    using Solaris Volume Manager for mirroring.

    [ID 879645 kern.notice] NOTICE: /: unexpected free inode 427288, run fsck
    (1M) -o f

    The gentleman that set this server up (top notch sysadmin) went on to a
    better opportunity, so I am learning fast. Looks like the following
    sequence of steps would get me through a correction... I would appreciate
    any critiquing, or pointers, from more experienced folks. Thanks in
    advance - I will summarize in return.

    1.) Bring down server to OBP level
    2.) Boot server off CDROM, single user mode (installation CDROM #1 ?)
    3.) Mount root partition "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0" on " /a " (1st submirror)
    4.) Run fsck on " /a "
    5.) umount " /a "
    6.) Repeat process for second submirror.
    7.) Reboot back into multi-user mode.

    Again, thanks for any advice that might be offered.

    Jim LaPeer
    Sr. Systems Programmer
    Ferris State University
    Phone: (231) 591-2142