Followup: Fixing inode error on mirrored Root disks.

JimLaPeer_at_ferris.edu
Date: 06/03/05

    To: sunmanagers@sunmanagers.org
    Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:38:53 -0400

    More followup here than Summary - I will summarize when I can complete the
    fix (about two weeks):

    The process utilized last night to fix the inode error on a Mirrored
    metadevice started with a boot from a Solaris Installation cdrom. This
    boot (OK> boot cdrom -s) did not work (see below messages), and things
    automatically proceeded into a normal boot. (and with that I lost my
    change window!)

    The cdrom boot error messages were:

    failed to read superblock.
    failed to read superblock.
    Boot load failed.

    I am still researching these messages... The planned procedure to fix the
    inode problem looks like this:

    d10=Mirror
    d11=SubMirror
    d12=SubMirror

    Process Steps:
    1.) Init system into OBP
          init 0
    2.) Boot system off CDROM, single-user mode
          Solaris Install CD #1
          boot cdrom -s
    3.) Detach one of the sub-mirrors.
          /usr/sbin/metadetach d10 d11 (detach d11 SubMirror from
    d10 Mirror.)
    4.) Run fsck against the remaining (attached) sub-mirror.
          Make sure that root partition is unmounted.
          fsck -y -o f /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 (will fsck by default
    remaining attached submirror d12.)
    5.) Init system into OBP
          sync
          init 0
    6.) Boot system normally (note: system will come up normally, but not
    mirrored)
          boot
    7.) Perform a metaattach command, to attach the 'un-attached' sub-mirror.
    This will sync up the unattached submirror, fixing the inode problem. May
    take couple hours.
          /usr/sbin/metattach d10 d12 (reattach & resync d12 SubMirror
    to d10 Mirror.)
          /usr/sbin/metastat | grep Resync (check current percentage
    of resync completion.)
    8.) When completed, system is ready; Reboot optional?

    My next change window is in two weeks; If the above works, I will be
    summarizing that way. Much thanks to all the folks that offered help on
    this - I'm learning a lot!

    Jim LaPeer
    Ferris State University
    Big Rapids, MI
    ________________

    I'm fairly new to Solaris administration... (Retread IBM Mainframe sysprog)

    We have observed the following error message on one of our V1280 servers
    that has a mirrored Root partition. This server is running Solaris 9,
    using Solaris Volume Manager for mirroring.

    [ID 879645 kern.notice] NOTICE: /: unexpected free inode 427288, run fsck
    (1M) -o f

    The gentleman that set this server up (top notch sysadmin) went on to a
    better opportunity, so I am learning fast. Looks like the following
    sequence of steps would get me through a correction... I would appreciate
    any critiquing, or pointers, from more experienced folks. Thanks in
    advance - I will summarize in return.

    1.) Bring down server to OBP level
    2.) Boot server off CDROM, single user mode (installation CDROM #1 ?)
    3.) Mount root partition "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0" on " /a " (1st submirror)
    4.) Run fsck on " /a "
    5.) umount " /a "
    6.) Repeat process for second submirror.
    7.) Reboot back into multi-user mode.

    Again, thanks for any advice that might be offered.

    Jim LaPeer
    Sr. Systems Programmer
    Ferris State University
    Phone: (231) 591-2142

    • Re: freebsd-current Digest, Vol 398, Issue 3
      ... For the list: Attached patch works. ... Nothing gets me a system that will actually boot. ... This may not be easy to fix properly for the time being as it ... that this is all to work around your BIOS being very broken. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • RE: Breaking and using a mirrored drive
      ... creation and use of a boot disk, ... server's OS now BUT in order to break the mirror set and make the new C: ... partition active I need to get into the Computer Management console's Disk ... if performing a recovery installation from the OS installation CD restore all ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Safe mode (and variations) and Last known good config not work
      ... fix your system so it will never boot again in any mode. ... figure out how to remove it and "think" or be told you must reinstall. ...  The malware will ...
    • Re: RAID 1
      ... >> at boot to know if it is a raid device or not. ... but a general decision that people take to mirror ... partitions and not whole drives. ... > still have a copy of everything, but because grub didn't make the ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: cant boot from mirrored boot drive
      ... If the disk containing the primary partition fails you will have to create a fault tolerant boot floppy to recover the installation. ... Do I break the mirror, shutdown and remove the good boot disk rdiskand just leave the disk that doesn't want to boot in and boot to the recovery conole to check it out? ... They are sata drives, drive 0 and drive 1 on the main system board's controller. ...