Configure sendmail in Solaris 9 to not use DNS resolution for the email addresses

We're trying to configure sendmail on a machine running Solaris 9 for
sending mails via an "smart" relay host (DS... in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf)

The problem we have is, that sendmail trys to resolve the domain names
of the target email addresses, e.g. if we send an email to
bs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sendmail trys to "resolve"
mysubdomain.mydomain.de . This fails because the nameserver used does
not know this domain and because of this sendmail does not send the
email to the relay.

At least that is what the mail people in our company told us. They also
told us that the "normal" sendmail daemon uses a file called
/etc/mail/service.switch to configure the name resolution but that the
use of this file is disabled in the sendmail daemon from Solaris 9.

If we change the hosts entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf to "hosts: files"
instead of "hosts: files dns" everything works.

How can we tell sendmail to change this behaviour (because we must have
dns configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf)?

Note that the connection to the mail relay and the DNS server are ok.

regards

Bernd

--
Bernd Schemmer, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
http://home.arcor.de/bnsmb/index.html

Mas temprano que tarde el mundio cambiara
Fidel Castro

  • Re: Configuring sendmail (8.11.3) for Smart Host without DNS.
    ... "Without DNS" in my case means that the SCO system doesn't try to ... Always, always, always put in the FQDN as the first ... Sendmail is really picky about trying to resolve fully qualified ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • F12: Sendmail, clamav-milter & spamass-milter
    ... I have spent weeks trying to resolve the following issues: ... SendMail - I can get SM to run, ... the error message reported is: ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Domain of sender address does not resolve ?
    ... I am using sendmail as a gateway for spam/virus filtering for several ... sender address user@xxxxxxx does not resolve" ... DNS should not be breaking. ... There indeed was a problem that 64.18.194.87 was having with the DNS server it was using. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Configuring sendmail (8.11.3) for Smart Host without DNS.
    ... Always, always, always put in the FQDN as the first ... Sendmail is really picky about trying to resolve fully qualified ... result of running "scoadmin sendmail". ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • sendmail setup
    ... of today to resolve it as the customers machine is being ... The way I have my sendmail configured is: ... DNS works and I can in fact resolve osiris.microlistics.com.au to ... Andrew Bergman ...
    (SunManagers)