autofs question

I have a server that exports two large disks 89G and 45G respectively.
Periodically I can't mount the shares via automount either from a client
or a web server. There is nfs: mount failure messages in the error log.
I have ran rpc.nfsd or automount in debug. I have increased the number
of nfs servers to 32 even though only about 100 users have ever mounted
their home directories at any one time. The web server is well used all
the time. Neither the web server nor the data server indicates any
problem using top. I have switched off my Antivirus software in case
there was an issue there but it didn't help.

Can anyone suggest how to identify the cause of the problem or what I
should do to address it? I have looked at the th line /proc/net/rpc/nfsd
but it doesn't give too much away

Error message:

mount: RPC: Timed out

automount[19423]: mount(nfs): nfs: mount failure

automount[19423]: failed to mount

I have a SUSE 9.3 server running autofs-3.1.7 a web server with the same
software. The data server has joined my Solaris 7 nis domain as has my
web server.

Kevin Gallagher

C&IT

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read,
copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the
permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are
scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept
liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or
omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email
entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the
University.

  • Re: NFS client , automount and protection problem
    ... Since you're having problems with non-root automount, ... This creates the "disk2" alias in the root. ... WORKS PERFECTLY (aka lists the files on the remote server). ... bother asking the remote server to mount it. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: write with cURL
    ... execute permissions. ... This is assuming that the PHP script runs ... of potential security risks from other users on the same server. ... web server itself is part of the group. ...
    (alt.php)
  • RE: System.Data.SqlClient "Timeout expired" causing ASP.net web applic
    ... There are many values here that can shutdown the aspnet_wp. ... > update tables on a Web Server running SQL Server 2000. ... > formation(DataSet currentBalances): Timeout expired. ...
  • Re: web service architecture question
    ... To assume that we have all the security we will ever need is a bad one. ... ways to breach a server, and the separatin of the web and app server is one ... You can use remoting or web services. ... The web server will be exposed outside the ...
  • RE: System.Data.SqlClient "Timeout expired" causing ASP.net web applic
    ... There are many values here that can shutdown the aspnet_wp. ... > update tables on a Web Server running SQL Server 2000. ... > formation(DataSet currentBalances): Timeout expired. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)