new updatemanager on Solaris 9 not patching itself

We just installed updatemanager on a Solaris 9 server and have been installing
security patches. We were careful to install all patches to the patching
system first and the first 3 or 4 rounds went well. When we selected the
kernel update, header files and clib stuff the system was too busy and did not
go down gracefully. When it rebooted, it DID NOT drop to single-user mode
apply the new patches. We checked and they showed downloaded but not
installed. We tried rebooting and single user mode and then rebooting several
times but couldn't get it to install the patches (and NO, they were not the
"green arrow" download only type).

So, we thought - maybe this action to drop to single user mode and install
patches is a one time deal written to tmp and is gone and, if so, maybe
installing another patch requiring reboot would trigger it and it would
install the patches. This did not work.

Q: Does anyone know how to get this to install the patches?

P.S. I suppose rm -rf on the /var/sadm/patch/[patch#] but I worry that would
corrupt the database? {no}?

Robert Threet
http://linux.usi.edu/rat/

  • Re: Patch cluster 10_x86_Recommended fails at 119255-77 (thir one on list)
    ... The patch set will complete installation in this session. ... Application of patches finished: 2010.11.28 17:54:45 ... Aborting due to failure while applying patch 119255-77. ... Install log files written: ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Patch push programs for Win2K domain world?
    ... install it on a domain controller, but you can install it on other servers ... files for patches and service packs of all kinds. ... > - Cannot find a reliable way to query a host or the controller itself for ... > - When scheduled for deployment, it sometimes took UE a few hours to push ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Activation problem with Office 2003
    ... necessity of those ubiquitous MS patches, patches to the patches and the ... the install and PFFFTTTT! ... into SafeMode, roll back using ERUNT, Recovery Mode, Repair Mode, etc., ... Either the conversion needs to be tweaked until ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?
    ... > running the firewall it shouldn't be an issue. ... you would only supposedly have new bugs in the latest revisions. ... >> had patches well in advance of the worm that impacted it, blaster, ... > If you install windows and attempt to either patch it or install firewall ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Dear Microsoft... Rebooting servers id NOT security..
    ... > Duh - that's why you install patches during your companies scheduled ... The problem is with critical security patches.. ... the concept of rebooting is simply wrong for a server. ...