Unable to find cause of slow tape drive

All,
I'll post the configuration specifics below. Here is the hardware

Sun Fire X4200 M2
SGXPCI1SCSILM320-Z PCI-SCSI HBA
SunOS 5.10 Generic_127128-11 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
Exabyte Magnum 224 LTO-3 Library (Ultrium-3 Full Height LTO-3 drive)

I was getting about 50 MBps write speed to this drive. Then without cause it
had dropped to 5 KBps write speed.
I have replaced the drive, the SCSI cables, and the SCSI terminator. I have
verified firmware is up to date. I have tested both with my backup application
and also with OS tools (mt, dd, tar). I have no errors or any indication in
system logs as to what the problem may be.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps a patch or something else broke
a driver. I can plainly see that the tape drive has a high %busy. I'm not sure
what to make of the svc_t. I don't have any statistics from when things were
running correctly.

device r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv svc_t %w %b
st12 0.0 89.9 0.0 5663.7 0.0 1.0 10.8 0 97

At at 64k block size that comes in the neighborhood of the 4-6 KBps speeds
that my backups are writing at.

I am using these drivers
pci1022,7458, instance #1 (driver name: pci_pci)
pci1000,5110, instance #0 (driver name: mpt)
st, instance #12 (driver name: st)
sgen, instance #20 (driver name: sgen)

The tape library is the only device attached to this adapter.

Thanks,
Shon

  • Re: Response to Brighton cyclists death
    ... The cyclist, James Danson-Hatcher, was my son. ... The motorist was an inexperienced driver (full licence for 4 ... At the inquest the motorist was unable to cite cyclists as ... Driving at speeds too fast for the road ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: N.J. Gov.s SUV Went 91 Mph Before Crash
    ... driver, based on the article that I saw in the Inquirer reconstructing ... noted the approach from behind of an emergency vehicle. ... We don't know the relative speeds here so it's just speculation. ... Well, by hat reasoning, neither then is the red pickup the "cause." ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: OT - Power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary
    ... You also said WRT the lights ... "Unfortunately, the driver in front is distracted and missed it", ... You didn't bother to read what I wrote. ... excessive speeds are the one which end with funerals. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: OT - Power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary
    ... You also said WRT the lights ... "Unfortunately, the driver in front is distracted and missed it", ... bother to read what I wrote", then?), but yeah, that's restating the ... that for a large part of the overtake, the speeds would have been ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Thisll upset a few people.
    ... But speed limits are not just there to protect potential speeders from their ... emphasis of the initial driver training ... from keeping oneself safe to keeping everyone safe. ... It is not the roads where higher speeds are clearly ...
    (uk.rec.driving)