Java Plugin libnpj2.so Failing to Work with Firefox 3.6 on Solaris 10 (SPARC)

We're having trouble getting the Java plugin (jre-6u18-solaris-sparcv9.sh) to
run in the Firefox 3.6 browser (SFWfirefox) on Solaris 10 (SPARC).

I see on the Java web site that...

"Starting in Firefox 3.6, Mozilla foundation will drop support on OJI (Open
Java Virtual Machine Integration) and will only support the standard NPAPI and
NPRuntime interfaces. The Java Plug-in which is in Java version 6 update 10 or
newer versions supports the NPAPI and NPRuntime interfaces. Therefore,
starting with Firefox 3.6, Java-based applets will NOT work unless you are
running Java version 6 Update 10 or newer."

Ref: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

Our "old" Java plugin that we used with our "old" Firefox 3.5 is:

libjavaplugin_oji.so

The plugin recommendation that we got from the Sunmanagers.org mailing list
was:

libnpj2.so

Which is the NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) plugin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI) I believe.

We did two tests, 1) to link to this file and 2) copied it in place, and we
can get the Java plugin to show up in Firefox 3.6. The two Java tests we did
that fail are:

1) The WebLogic 8.1 console, which has a Java menu and the menu does not
appear

2) I created a small test applet
(http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Programming/BasicJava1/applet.h
tml) and it just shows a gray box and nothing else

Any ideas?

Brian L. Jester
Accenture
System Engineer
1615 Murray Canyon Road, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92108
619-553-5851
brian.l.jester@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any
other use of the email by you is prohibited.

  • Re: Sun java plugin on FC9 x64 (with 32 bit firefox)
    ... Install 32bit version of firefox ... Basically for step 3 ignore the sun documentation that states you must install the amd/64 package additionally. ... Unfortunately some of the applets just don't work as expected -- be it because the oss java isn't working right or the silly applets I am using test for specific version numbers -- I don't much care. ... Clearly its pretty ridiculous that sun has still not released a compatible plugin at this point, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: firefox and java plugin
    ... In firefox properties there is nothing to set about java run time. ... The reason you can't find the plugin is that Sun has yet to release it ... What I did on Debian Etch AMD64 is to run a chroot unstable 32bit ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 45, Issue 259
    ... If you wish to consume the Sun's plugin, then you need to remove this ... Now restart firefox and you should see the new plugin take effect. ... this link suggests that the blackdown version of java works properly on ... installation which is not going to happen anytime soon. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...
    ... this explains why my plugin doesn't work. ... use the port firefox35 hoping that other components (flash plugin ... It takes a long time for FreeBSD to support a new version of the jdk, ... the number of developers working on Java support is very small. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sarge: the worst distro?
    ... >|support Java. ... i re-installed woody and use netscape which has java ... You have a real strange sense of what constitutes a feature. ... The new features of Mozilla are firefox [which does use java, ...
    (Debian-User)