Java Plugin libnpj2.so Failing to Work with Firefox 3.6 on Solaris 10 (SPARC)

We're having trouble getting the Java plugin (jre-6u18-solaris-sparcv9.sh) to
run in the Firefox 3.6 browser (SFWfirefox) on Solaris 10 (SPARC).

I see on the Java web site that...

"Starting in Firefox 3.6, Mozilla foundation will drop support on OJI (Open
Java Virtual Machine Integration) and will only support the standard NPAPI and
NPRuntime interfaces. The Java Plug-in which is in Java version 6 update 10 or
newer versions supports the NPAPI and NPRuntime interfaces. Therefore,
starting with Firefox 3.6, Java-based applets will NOT work unless you are
running Java version 6 Update 10 or newer."

Ref: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

Our "old" Java plugin that we used with our "old" Firefox 3.5 is:

libjavaplugin_oji.so

The plugin recommendation that we got from the Sunmanagers.org mailing list
was:

libnpj2.so

Which is the NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) plugin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI) I believe.

We did two tests, 1) to link to this file and 2) copied it in place, and we
can get the Java plugin to show up in Firefox 3.6. The two Java tests we did
that fail are:

1) The WebLogic 8.1 console, which has a Java menu and the menu does not
appear

2) I created a small test applet
(http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Programming/BasicJava1/applet.h
tml) and it just shows a gray box and nothing else

Any ideas?

Brian L. Jester
Accenture
System Engineer
1615 Murray Canyon Road, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92108
619-553-5851
brian.l.jester@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any
other use of the email by you is prohibited.