SUMMARY: Setting "login timeout" with V4.0f and enhanced security

From: Jim Wilder (wilderja_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 11/18/03

    Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:20:30 -0800 (PST)
    To: tru64-unix-managers@ornl.gov

    Many thanks to all who replied to this. It appears there is no easy answer, as there
    is no real definition of just what defines an "idle" session.

    The Bourne shell supports the TIMEOUT variable (measured in minutes) that will log
    out a session sitting at the shell prompt. The korn shell supports the TMOUT variable
    (measured in seconds). Any background job MAY get terminated at logout depending
    on how the jib was submitted.

    If this is not acceptable (and it is to my customer), then there is the unsupported
    "idled" from http://www.darkwing.com/idled/ There is also a supported
    third party application called "logmon" at www..logmon.com. Check these
    out if the shell option is not good enough.

    Jim