passwd/NIS/ and /etc/passwd

From: Neil R. Smith (neils_at_ariel.met.tamu.edu)
Date: 07/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:44:33 -0500
    To: tru64-unix-managers@ornl.gov

    Tru64 5.1A PK 6
    NIS (plain)

    I thought that if you had a user passwd entry in /etc/passwd like:
      +username::0:0::/wh/username:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

    and final /etc/passwd entries:
      +:*:0:0:::
      +:

    that you needed to use 'yppasswd' to change the NIS password but if
    you used 'passwd', the new password would be inserted into the
    password field of /etc/passwd, which the system would consult first
    for user authentication.

    But that isn't the case on our 5.1A system. The 'passwd' command effects
    a change in the NIS database and nothing is inserted in the password
    field of /etc/passwd.

    What am I missing here?

    Thanks,
    -Neil

    --
    Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr.		neils@tamu.edu
    Dept. Atmospheric Sci., Texas A&M Univ.	979/845-6272 FAX:979/862-4466

    • RE: NIS User account? or crypt issue?
      ... Subject: NIS User account? ... I have been able to eliminate NIS as a possible problem. ... I took the NIS entry (ypmatch user passwd) && placed it into ... *) I tried to login but was still getting password failures. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Problem changing local root password
      ... It's been ages, but if memory serves, using shadow passwords along with NIS tended to be problematic. ... If that still doesn't resolve te issue, try prepending the root record in the passwd file by a + sign. ...
      (RedHat)
    • NIS+ problem
      ... i've got a problem with nis+ it seems. ... passwd or nispasswd results in "permission ... passwd: smith does not exist ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • RE: NIS client couldnt log in
      ... I can log in locally with root or normal user ... No network connection problem, all testing linux boxes are connected together. ... I think it has nothing to do with iptables."ypcat passwd" execute successfully. ... From the NIS client machine I type the ypcat ...
      (RedHat)
    • NIS Server on 2.6 with 2.6 and linux clients ?
      ... NIS merges passwd with shadow and distributes one passwd inkl. ... scenario #2: passwd + passwd.adjunct ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)