Re: Portents of VMS death

From: Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr (winston_at_SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU)
Date: 06/04/03

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:17:02 GMT

In article <3EDD4E62.F3E9AB9D@istop.com>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@istop.com> writes:
>jlsue wrote:
>> Wrong again. It was a test of a very old version of vms against a new UNIX
>> offering.
>
>Lets say you have an old VAX at 5.5-2 and you are told it is time to buy new
>machines because this "old museum piece" just doesn't cut it anymore.
>
>So you call <whoever is owner of VMS this week> and they propose to loan you a
>brand new zippy Unix system pre-loaded with the application you want, and
>they've never heard of VMS and tell you Unix is the way to go and that they
>don't have "loaners" for VMS anyways. (or whatever excuse).
>
>So, as a loyalist to VMS, you still want to push a VMS solution, but all you
>have at your disposal is that old vax at 5.5-2 which you can't upgrade because
>of the old application that is on it.
>
>What do you do ?
>
>Now, folks who know about the ambassadors programme may call Sue and arrange
>to have some zippy VMS demo showing all its modern stuff. But ir you don't
>know about Sue or the ambassador programme, who can you turn to when
>Digital/Compaq/HP is unresponsive to VMS requests ?

I was going to say that you don't have to know a secret handshake to find out
about the VMS Ambassadors; there's a link from the openvms.compaq.com
home age to a nice page describing the Ambassadors program, which makes it
clear that if you want to bring in someone who'll say how swell and modern VMS
is, an Ambassador is the one you want.

That page just doesn't seem to have a description of how to get hold of an
Ambassador.

-- Alan

 Alan Winston --- WINSTON@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
 Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL   Phone:  650/926-3056
 Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA   94025

  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... The VMS User's manual is. ... So Unix was a progress. ... and 2-letter commands and options. ... trying to show through photography what it's like in another context ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: 3B2 Disks
    ... Considering the nature of connectivity over the INTERNET, ... I never ran VMS -- or even accessed a machine running it. ... quite happy on even an old v7 unix machine would bring VMS to its knees. ... I actually have such as set of Qbus cards too. ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... The VMS User's manual is. ... So Unix was a progress. ... and 2-letter commands and options. ... trying to show through photography what it's like in another context ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... in this day and age Linux is the most common form of Unix then you ... Linux and VMS are not sold to the same class of users. ... Guess it depends on the style of manuals you are used ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Unix runs faster, maybe (was: Re: Educating potential VMS users)
    ... Subject: Unix runs faster, maybe (was: Re: Educating ... potential VMS users) ... Tuning an entire server for one specific application may occur more frequently in Windows environments, but far less so in the Unix and VMS ... For quite a few years now it has become difficult to purchase a processor *weak* enough to be challenged by such workloads (save in situations where they scale up sufficiently to allow that single processor or small MP system to service many, many actively-working disks at once). ...
    (comp.os.vms)