Re: DFO and SET FILE/NOMOVE

From: David J. Dachtera (djesys.nospam_at_NeOaSrPtAhMlNiOnWk.net)
Date: 05/08/04

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 10:47:24 -0500

> In article <2M$IeesX5AzL@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
> Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
>
> > Look at the list of files in sys$system:setfilenomove.com.
> >
> > > Presumably, one should have a disk defragmented by the node to which it
> > > has a direct connection. What about shadow sets with members on more
> > > than one node? Should they be defragmented by all nodes which host
> > > disks in that shadow set?
> >
> > Defragmentation is at the level of the file system. Shadowing is below
> > that.
>
> This is from SETFILENOMOVE.COM
>
> $ IF F$GETDVI ("''disk'","SHDW_MEMBER")
> $ THEN
> $ master = F$GETDVI ("''disk'","SHDW_MASTER_NAME")
> $ say "%SETFILENOMOVE-F-SHDWMEM, ''disk' is a shadow set member"
> $ say " Please re-run this procedure using disk ''master'"
> $ say " if you wish to set the NOMOVE attribute on disk ''disk'."
> $ GOTO LEAVING
> $ ENDIF
>
> If a disk is part of a shadow set, the symbol "master" will be the name
> of the shadow set, and it will tell me to run SETFILENOMOVE against the
> shadow set. But if I have booted from CD, I don't have any shadow sets,
> as far as I know.

The attribute it's looking is stored in the DCB, not on the volume.

> Or is SHADOWING=2 when one boots from CD?

HBVS is not available in the CD boot environment, AFAIK. That is to say,
the software may be present, but I am at a loss to understand how to
actiavte it.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Mounting external filesystem
    ... Part of the confusion is that there's more than one way to shadow the ... One way is to mount an "external ROM" file system. ... Windows CE 5.0 there is true shadowing between a Windows directory on your ...
  • File system issues on system partition
    ... Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. ... The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of a failure to ensure crash dump or hibernate consistency. ... This all happened a month ago and when I rebooted the server then the system partition was so bad that Windows setup, reocvery console, etc would not recognize it as being there. ... Luckily I had just started using Symantec BESR so I could take the last backup which is about 1-2 weeks old of the system parition and just put it back in place. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Mounting network shares under home?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Errors during shadow set merge
    ... I have been getting errors during shadow set merges since I bought ... If you don't have a service contract, order a replacement disk and get a ... I am skeptical that its the disks (In my original message, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: SHADDETINCON, SHADOWING detects inconsistent state
    ... Each system has a 2- or 3-member shadow set as its system disk. ... sets distributed among the nodes (each member has a direct connection to ... long as the spontaneous reboots are happening. ...
    (comp.os.vms)