Re: few questions

From: Bill Gunshannon (bill_at_gw5.cs.uofs.edu)
Date: 06/10/04

Date: 10 Jun 2004 18:47:38 GMT

In article <f401eb7f.0406100938.4006d899@posting.google.com>,
        soccer13player@yahoo.com (Nom de Plume) writes:
> Bob Koehler wrote:
>>soccer13player@yahoo.com (Nom de Plume) writes:
>> >
>> > Again from a user/programmer perspective (the point that was being
>> > made), I feel that:
>>
>> I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
>
> Cool. Even fellow VMS bigots, errr proponents, don't always have to
> agree. ;)
>
> I kind of like to think of myself as a missionary converting the
> unenlighted UNIX wanks, errr wonks, to VMS. "Unix is an older
> operating system by about a decade",

"Unix has about 10 more years of serious research and development."

> "Unix isn't as stable",

Statements made here and personal experience do not support this
conjecture. Under the right controlled circumstances both are
of equal stability. I used to have Unix servers that stayed up
for a year at a time and only went down then because we used to
have an annual, scheduled, campus wide, 8-12 hour power shutdown
and my UPSes were not designed to keep things going that long.
By counter-point, the VMS machines here are often rebooted, usually
on a weekend, but sometime in the middle of the workday.

> "Unix
> doesn't have real clustering",

Don't have any real experience in this venue, but then it probably
depends on the definition of the term "real clustering".

> "just about any tool available on UNIX
> is available on OpenVMS",

Office Suite? WYSIWYG Desktop Publishing? I could just start at
the beginning of the FreeBSD Ports tree and run through them all
but why bother. even the people here are always lamenting that
they need to port some application to VMS from Unix because there
is no VMS equivalent.

> and *"its easy to get around on OpenVMS,
> HELP is better than man

Matter of opinion.
> and the written documentation is AWESOME."*

Also a matter of opinion. I have always found the VMS documentation
to be cumbersome and difficult to find answers in. Of course, with
Unix I can resort to any of a hundred third party books in just about
any style I might find acceptable. Can the same be said for VMS?

It's really time VMS bigots^H^H^H^H^H^Hproponents admited that both
VMS and Unix have their strengths and their weaknesses. There is no
silver bullet for computing needs. You need to pick the tool that
does the job best in a particular environment. Unix isn't the answer
for everything and neither is VMS. And sometimes, neither of them
is the right answer. The universal is that Linux is never the right
answer. :-)

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |