Re: Need Help with SNMP

From: Keith A. Lewis (lewis_at_PROBE.mitre.org)
Date: 07/19/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:37:53 +0000 (UTC)

Lyndon Bartels <lbartels@pressenter.com> writes in article <40f44eb5$0$430$7f8943f3@newsreader.visi.com> dated Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:05:57 -0500:
>I'm looking into using SNMP to monitor my VMS machines.
>
>VMS v7.3-1 & later
>TCPIP 5.3 & later
>
>I've managed to start and config the master agent, and the monitor
>system (OpenNMS) can see information from my machine. So far, so good.
>
>Now.. One of my goals is to monitor given process to 1. See if it
>exists, and 2. What resources it is consuming.
>
>I want to write a subagent to do this.
>
>But.. I have no experience writing sub-agents.
>
>I've been doing a lot of reading of the manuals, and I'm hoping to find
>some simple examples on creating a simple sub-agent. Just some simple
>task that I can use to see how everything is done. From how to
>write/build a sub-agent, to seeing what data it collects (via an
>snmpwalk), to seeing that data collected/monitored by an Management System.
>
>Anybody got some examples they can send me? Or pointers to some? I've
>been looking on the freeware CDs, and in Sys$examples: (chess seems too
>big for the beginner.) But I haven't run across anything yet.

I wrote an agent which does that and more, but I hesitate to share it because
it seems to develop memory problems after running for a while. I think
eSNMP is stepping on my DEC C malloc'd structures, which are extensive.
VMS eSNMP would be a much better product if it came with the source.

I would recommend looking for a freeware implementation of the eSNMP
subagent libraries, or if you don't need the MIBs that come with TCPIP for
OpenVMS, an entire SNMP server.

FWIW, my information security department has declared the entire SNMP
*protocol* bad tech. I'm not sure exactly why but from what I know SNMPv1
is completely insecure and most implemenations would be quite vulnerable to
DOS attacks.

If you need snmpwalk for VMS, try CMU's "snmpapps" package. It didn't take
much to get it to compile on VMS.

--Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need Help with SNMP
    ... >>I'm looking into using SNMP to monitor my VMS machines. ... >>I've managed to start and config the master agent, ... > VMS eSNMP would be a much better product if it came with the source. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools
    ... Of course if your server is prone to running out of resources you should also be collecting that data via snmp with thresholds to notify you before you have an outage or at least graphing it so you'll understand the trends. ... We were able to use the monitor to look for ... Most of the common things you would want are already built in so you don't have to script them - or install scripts on all the clients. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: snmp
    ... management console like HPOpenView, Cisco Works, WhatsUp, Tivoli, etc. ... ICMP, SNMP, WMI, etc. to monitor many different things on a network. ... I have an application Called (Double-take) that i want to monitor it via SNMP. ...
  • Re: snmp
    ... management console like HPOpenView, Cisco Works, WhatsUp, Tivoli, etc. ... ICMP, SNMP, WMI, etc. to monitor many different things on a network. ... I have an application Called (Double-take) that i want to monitor it via SNMP. ...
  • Re: Isnt this an oxymoron, linux & security?
    ... it's obvious you don't understand vms ... ... SNMP Inquiry - Cert Advisory CA-2002-03 ... Are either MultiNet or TCPware affected by CERTŪ Advisory CA-2002-03 ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)