Re: OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-1 - conneting to internet via ADSL

From: Paul Sture (nospam_at_sture.homeip.net)
Date: 07/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:38:25 +0200

Starlet731 wrote:
> I don't have a Speedtouch Pro. I know my modem has PPPOE build in. So I can
> connect directly my ADSL modem to the internet using a Web Browser or CLI of
> the modem.
>
> But how do the other systems on my internal network know to find the
> internet connection? Is it enough then to connect the OpenVMS box directly
> (via the 2nd ethernet card) to the modem?
>
> Then the gateway for the OpenVMS box will be the modem with a certain IP
> address. Standard this is 10.0.0.138.

Yes, that's correct. Use that address in the commands I gave.

> But how will the other clients (not directly connected to the modem) reach
> the internet. Must this be configured on the OpenVMS system?

You give them the same address as their gateway. The following URL gives
instructions how to do this for Win95/98, but it's pretty similar for
other versions of Windows.

hhttp://www.yale.edu/its/security/private-network/linksys.html

You would give 10.0.0.138 as the gateway address. The instructions say
you need a reboot for the network changes to take effect, but this step
is unnecessary with NT (even though it suggests on).

--
Paul Sture
OS X: "It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: home lan setup suggestions
    ... Router internet config dialog shows: ... Default gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.N+1, being the IP assigned by ISP ... Modem manages the connection/disconnection to internet, ... The router itself uses the gateway IP given to it by the ISP. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Internet Sharing
    ... Sharing in the Sharing System Prefs pane. ... How do I get other Macs on the same LAN to use that shared internet ... The problem is that you already have a router on your network - the ... broadband modem. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: I can send packets but I receive nothing, routing problem
    ... >>I try to route my internal IP 10.0.0.1 to this ISP ... >>access to internet on this modem. ... > gateway should not be the modem, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Repeatedly disconnect from internet (Dial-up Problem)
    ... I can not connect to Internet easily. ... Modem make is Multi Tech System, ... to Internet with O.S Windows 98 but with Window XP ... This connection uses the following items: ...
  • Re: Trouble obtaining IP address
    ... I have an old computer connected to internet via DSL modem which used to ... Just how DHCP, and DHCP leases, work. ... address for your connection was already assigned, ...