RE: VMS process priorities and system processes

From: Main, Kerry (kerry.main_at_hp.com)
Date: 07/16/05

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:12:05 -0400

It would appear that you want to ensure some processes of the same
priority do not impact other processese e.g. process runaway stuff.

As others have stated, you can get into trouble by purposely mixing
priorities on specific priorities.

As a suggestion, I would suggest you consider using the OpenVMS class
scheduler to do this.

Reference:
Sysman> Help class

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6048/6048pro_005.html#startsubcom
mand_431
"The class scheduler provides the ability to limit the amount of CPU
time that a system's users receive by placing users in scheduling
classes. Each class is assigned a percentage of the overall system CPU
time. As the system runs, the combined set of users in a class is
limited to the percentage of CPU execution time allocated to their
class.

Users might get some additional CPU time if the qualifier /WINDFALL is
enabled for their scheduling class. Enabling the qualifier /WINDFALL
allows the system to give a small amount of CPU time to a scheduling
class when the scheduling class's allotted time has been depleted, but a
free CPU is available."

Regards

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada
Voice: 613-592-4660
Fax: 613-591-4477
kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
(remove the DOT's and AT)

  • Re: VMS process priorities and system processes
    ... could otherwise block critical server processes. ... > priorities on specific priorities. ... > "The class scheduler provides the ability to limit the amount of CPU ... > enabled for their scheduling class. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: tvtime and the Linux 2.6 scheduler
    ... Con Kolivas: ... It sounds like it's giving X less cpu ... I will get accurate information about the priorities of all processes ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Compressing log files and CPU load
    ... CPU quota is as much ... a feature as HD quota and mail quota on a real OS. ... > process priorities which I think can be tweaked in the shortcut... ... is man only a blunder of God, or God only a blunder of man? ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: Adding Priority Scheduling feature to the subprocess
    ... scale is defecient in representing all possible priorities, ... Interestingly enough this was changed in recent linux kernels. ... Process levels in linus kernels are logarithmic now, ... If I run two CPU intensive jobs to busy out both my CPUs, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: [SHED] Questions.
    ... no general purpose scheduler should allow starvation depending ... If 1000 processes get 10ms CPU every ... The priorities thing is done based on how much sleeping the ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)