Re: Mozilla and ODS5

From: Bob Koehler (koehler_at_eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org)
Date: 07/27/05

Date: 27 Jul 2005 08:14:13 -0500

In article <VR3$AvjpKXBO@eisner.encompasserve.org>, Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
> In article <sfCPv911$lJl@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
>>
>> No, its in the jackets code. Mozilla has no idea.
>
> For what purpose was that written ? What (besides Mozilla) uses it ?

   Anybody porting code from UNIX to VMS can use it (it's been freely
   downloadable for years). It was written to deal with UNIX-isms that
   native VMS routines didn't implement, like making all the filesystems
   appear to start at "/", or the C RTL implemented in a manner which
   distinctly varies from the NUIX behaviour. It's basically a predecessor
   and alternative to GNV and both more recent and still upcoming VMS and
   C RTL enhancements.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mozilla and ODS5
    ... > Anybody porting code from UNIX to VMS can use it (it's been freely ... It was written to deal with UNIX-isms that ... > native VMS routines didn't implement, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... The VMS User's manual is. ... So Unix was a progress. ... and 2-letter commands and options. ... trying to show through photography what it's like in another context ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: 3B2 Disks
    ... Considering the nature of connectivity over the INTERNET, ... I never ran VMS -- or even accessed a machine running it. ... quite happy on even an old v7 unix machine would bring VMS to its knees. ... I actually have such as set of Qbus cards too. ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... The VMS User's manual is. ... So Unix was a progress. ... and 2-letter commands and options. ... trying to show through photography what it's like in another context ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... in this day and age Linux is the most common form of Unix then you ... Linux and VMS are not sold to the same class of users. ... Guess it depends on the style of manuals you are used ...
    (comp.os.vms)