Re: OPA0 Console connection

In article <ops6c2lmjezgicya@hyrrokkin>, "Tom Linden" <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
:I have a (working) console cable between 2 XP1000's one running
:8.2 (FREJA) and the other 7.3-1 (ODIN)
: Username Node Process Name PID Terminal
: <login> FREJA _OPA0: 22402C37 OPA0:
: <login> ODIN _OPA0: 22A00346 OPA0:

:Is this expected behaviour?

Probably -- I'm guessing as to what's happening here, but LOGINOUT
will start a login upon unsolicited input, so this case does look
to be expected behaviour, yes, assuming that the console serial
lines involved aren't set up appropriately for this back-to-back
console serial line connection, and you should see failed logins
piling up in the system accounting and/or auditing logs. (And a
failed login can trigger an OPCOM, which can trigger a console
message, which can trigger unsolicited input, which can...)

Me? I'd use a DECserver or equivalent device, and move the console
serial connections out to LAT or telnet. (Do set the DECserver or
terminal server to disable unsolicited input and such to the serial
line ports, depending on the terminal server.)

The OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section "How can I prevent
a serial terminal line from initiating a login?" might be of some
interest, here. And maybe "Using REPLY/LOG from DCL? Disabling Console
OPCOMs?", depending on what's initiating the chatter on the line.

Oh, and a BREAK signal -- a serial line framing error -- or a [CTRL/P]
in the data stream, depending on the box -- can halt the configuration.
See "Why does my system halt when I power-cycle the console terminal?"
for related.

In any case, do ensure you protect access to the lines, too, as network
access to an (enabled) console is automatic full system control and full
system access. For related, see "I've forgotten the SYSTEM password -
what can I do?" in the FAQ.

---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
--------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[\0100]hp.com

  • Re: logging console login
    ... What i want in common with Linux and Solaris is console logins to ... least network logins can be bared from root login and force people to login as themselves and switch user, but root login at the console is ... Solaris and Linux log this event without any further configuration, but with HP and AIX for that matter they dont at the moment. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: 5.0.7 machine locks up!
    ... > 1 login is through the Digi Terminal Server ... > had one console on tty02 in an existing shell where I could type ... This could very well be a disk hang. ... Link scodb into the kernel, break into the kernel debugger when the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Novices questions
    ... accessing the system from the serial console is initially much easier. ... Pressing return should get you the>>> prompt. ... When you login on the GUI login screen, press the "OPTIONS" button, and in the session type, you choose "failsafe" instead of "New desktop" or "DecWindows" This *MAY* bypass the licencing issue. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: [opensuse] Console login before x login
    ... Console login before x login ... (Ctrl-Alt-Fx), before login by KDM, ... has the wait action flag, and comes before the lines that start the console gettys: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Changed public/private key, but can still login
    ... The expected behaviour is that Nimrod then refuse the login, ... Do you perhaps have an agent running in which you've already loaded the ...
    (comp.security.ssh)