Re: Mysterious revision date changes caused by Advanced Server?

In article <ahp412hn756osl3a7tef27gescie2d6rbf@xxxxxxx>, D Gillbilly <gillbilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
:My real problem is that something changes file revision dates.
:Now that it has happened on my development machine, I have
:debris that I can work with and a pretty good idea on how to
:cause the problem. I just need to figure out what security/auditing
:I need turned on to confirm my suspicions (I prefer books, so this
:can wait until I return to work).
:In the example below, the only file that should have changed
:was the text file, but something also revised the executables.
:The text file was put into that directory using "save as" from a PC to
:an Advanced Server (PATHworks) network share.

Are you sure that the Windows boxes involved are not infected with
something? Having something writing into Windows executables is a
common footprint for electronic vermin, of course.

Also, are you sure that whatever application you are using on the
Windows system itself isn't also somehow modifying these files or
the file headers.

I will assume the contents of the files are NOT changing -- though
if they are, do see the first paragraph, above.

Given what I've seen of directory operations, it also would not
surprise me to see the directory itself rewritten when something
was added to or changed within the directory -- directory shuffles
are fairly common on OpenVMS and on Windows, and it would not be
surprising to learn that some sequences involving Windows files
and directories stored on a remote server can and do lead to the
host server's associated file headers being modified.

You can see locality within the Windows directories using DUMP,
for instance -- the files aren't stored in any particular order,
so they can end up in odd clumps, depending on who wrote what
piece to do what when writing to the directories.

Not a big help, I know.

---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
--------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[\0100]hp.com

  • Re: Can I make Word into a typewriter?
    ... You're not the first person to complain about the Auto-features in ... The real problem is that if they are OFF by default - most users will ... was better than Windows, but there were some great, simple DOS programs ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Romneys Secret to Billions? Hes an Idiot. Wants Jet Airplane Windows to Roll Down
    ... However, this latest one, about why airplane windows don't ... It's a real problem. ... pressure and how it gets lower the higher up you go. ... The tolerances of the human body to changes in air pressure have been ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: WHERE IS THIS ELUSIVE "autoexec" FILE?
    ... everything (except the corrupt windows folder) from my old drive onto ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, ... the real problem, or perhaps, he will tell us his real (Windows XP ...
  • Re: Vista security
    ... yes, however, since windows is the dominant OS at this point in time, my ... are far more reasons to use windows than linux at present...). ... primary motivators. ... I have not had much of any real problem from this. ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: re-installing XP
    ... The real problem is windows XP is in French and I have to translate ... sometime it takes time and I make mistakes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)