Re: hypothetical question

Dave Froble wrote:

JF Mezei wrote:
re: backup from disk to a disk based saveset.

One issue I have just thought of: so, you create the save set on a
different disk REALLY FAST. But then, how do you savely copy the saveset
to tape ?

To copy the save set to tape, the COPY command is appropriate. This
does have some ramafications. BACKUP is set up to handle some tape
errors, while COPY will not do as well in this area.

True, but remember that the redundancy groups and such are written to
the saveset, regardless of whether the target is disk or tape.

I'd think that if I had problems copying a save set to tape, I'd want to
use another tape. Best to at least start out with no errors, they'll
eventually rear their ugly head in time. However, I'm not sure if
BACKUP will be able to better handle the tape if it didn't write the
save set.

....but, BACKUP *DID* write the saveset! All you did was COPY it from
disk to tape! Just remember to MOUNT the tape FILES-11 and /NOHDR3 so
BACKUP doesn't choke on it later when you MOUNT it /FOREIGN as BACKUP
expects.

This would be a question for those supporting the BACKUP utility.

There are no guarantees.

Quite.

--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  • Re: VTL vs. Backup to Disk
    ... Disk is designated as DASD. ... emulated to provide a complete tape emulation solution. ... The question boils down to backup application support. ... so a good VTL may provide for a better solutions and better ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: Escaping Data Rot
    ... I can backup my entire server on a single tape in less than an hour. ... The tape goes in my briefcase and travels to the office with me so there's always an off-site copy. ... And all the panoply of disk tools can be ... Some types of tape drives do read-after-write to check for bit errors, but off the top of my head I cannot state whether or not LTO drives do this. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: SCSI or Firewire for tape-drive backups?
    ... Such as: Why tape? ... Disk is much easier, quicker and more searchable. ... They should be in the backup tapes... ... What kind of SATA drives are those prices for? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Backup verify problems
    ... I had a disk and tape drive failure and restore the disk from a backup ... I created a disk backup saveset and got the same verify errors. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: [opensuse] Tape backup? - slightly OT
    ... Our choice now looks like LTO, AIT or DLT as our total backup size is now 80Gb. ... a LTO media is mechanically robust but can't be used that often. ... Next time we need to change backup system we will go to USB/eSATA disks - one disk for each tape media we currently have in use: ...
    (SuSE)