Re: DCL versus Unix CLIs, was: Re: File output like Unix

Rich Alderson wrote:

koehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bob Koehler) writes:

Except, of course, that all the UNIX compilers have no idea what
thier input is without looking at the extension.

Oh, horseshit.

That's certainly true of gcc. It's a "compiler suite" and does different things depending on the extension. ".c" tells it to compile C source. ".f" tells it FORTRAN, ".cc" is, I believe" C++ and so on.

It's a bit of a kludge and the "man page" uses 191 pages to document all the command line options, switches, etc, etc. Fortunately, if all you want to do is build freeware packages, the make file generally takes care of the gcc command line.

To accuse "all" Unix compilers probably is horse shit.

  • OpenGL extensions in Linux (Its not hard?)
    ... glRasterPos2d to glWindowPos2d. ... I didn't want to write a bunch of extension checking and loading code ... but at least my compile was now ... Windows OpenGL library, except that the function pointers returned are ...
    (comp.graphics.api.opengl)
  • Porting *nix binary extensions to Win32
    ... example extension I just wrote under OS X and compile it on Windows. ... Is it possible to create a Win32 dll that can be used by ANY Tcl/Tk ... Can the ActiveState distribution use a mingw-compiled extension? ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • GSoC: Deterministic builds
    ... Scripts to automatically create a jail or bhyve guest where you can build ports ... create an Ubuntu virtual machine on qemu and run deterministic builds on it. ... Extension one: ... This could help compile ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • GSoC: Deterministic builds
    ... Scripts to automatically create a jail or bhyve guest where you can build ports ... create an Ubuntu virtual machine on qemu and run deterministic builds on it. ... Extension one: ... This could help compile ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: gcc problem , need help with djgpp
    ... Daniel Oljaca escreveu: ... I am however having a problem, when I use the gcc command to compile I get this error message: ... I saved it and then I tried to run the compile command in C:\cprograms, but I recieved the error message that I mentioned above. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)