Re: TAB character in DCL command-line editing

In article <445BB014.3040602@xxxxxxxxx>, Fred Bach <music@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

The problem is this: Inserting a TAB anywhere on the DCL
command line prevents inserting characters using Control-A.
DELETE still works, but no characters can be inserted on
my DCL command lines here as long as there is a tab character
present.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

I see your problem, but only if I try to insert something before the TAB.

My problem was that the tab was (almost) the last character

$ Search weeks_of_%%%%.dat "week 1 "

where the last character before the final quote was a tab.

So up-arrowing and trying to change that to "week 11<tab>" didn't
work. In all my years of DCL, back to its infancy, I just do not
recall seeing this before.

.. fred bach music at triumf dot ca

  • Re: Formatting index entries
    ... replace each space with a tab character ... Copy the whole cell ... use Edit>Replace to replace every tab with a space. ... you want to rip all the Index tags out of the main document. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Calculations Result Sometimes Displays 000, Sometimes 444
    ... > when I was addressing your mention of strange formatting options, ... the fill character for each tab was set to 4 on one of the ... added to a layout (not duplicate or copy / paste) will automatically ...
    (comp.databases.filemaker)
  • Re: Renaming documents from text within the document using existin
    ... StrName = ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Range.Text ... character was found because you did trim off the first six characters. ... You can use the replace command to remove tab characters from a string and I ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: grep for metacharacters
    ... tab character. ... if you want to stick with grep, ... formfeed character in a file and match based on that: ... And egrep in RHEL5 doesn't see _any_ of them: ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: How Tabs In Memos Work
    ... so your best option is to parse each line character ... > memo lines contain tab characters. ... width of the system font. ... while using div 2 does. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.objectpascal)