Re: The possibility of vms opening up?

In article <e90551$4jo$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, david20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In article <1152568977.756411.238210@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "geletine"
<adaviscg1@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I am not sure if you are aware
that Sun's latest OpenSPARC T1 is open source, yes thats not a lie, the
schematics are truelly availabe to anybody for zero payment.
Lets not forget most of solaris is open source, are Sun closing their
buisness?

Solaris is having to compete directly with Linux. Whether this gamble will
work
is still to be decided.

It probably doesn't matter if the OS is open or not,
it's the price of the hardware which makes the difference.
As long as entry level Sparc boxes cost factors more than
an ordinary peecee Solaris on Sparc won't win.

  • Re: New Delphi roadmap is coming: NO UNICODE PLEASE!
    ... This license would not be well ... Solaris innovations, even though they have released their patents and the ... patents that they hold because Open Source software and Software Patents ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: sun solaris .vs linux
    ... > fedora, and i don't lose anything with regards to building/running apps, i ... > might have to seriously think about solaris... ... I don't believe that Solaris will be open source to the tune ... If Sun can't or won't provide a truly open source Java, ...
    (RedHat)
  • SN#19770 Blastwave.org
    ... Open Source Packages for Solaris ... source software for the Sun Microsystems' Solaris operating system. ... open source software in accordance with specified standards. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.announce)
  • Re: How to monitor server performance
    ... I would like something that is standard on ... >> Solaris or open source. ... I would like to capture processor performance ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Anyone else seeing this management trend favoring Linux?
    ... >> Solaris is free.) ... >> can physically support more than 1 physical CPU. ... > Why do I keep repeating it? ... It's already clear that it will not be Big-O Big-S Open Source. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)