Re: Status of Flight ?

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:28d78$45d59c64$cef8887a$31904@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Some time ago, I exercised my rights as a non-profit hobbyist (eg: does not profit HP :-) and demanded that Flight be updated to support 24 bit graphic displays.

There was mention by a well respected engineer that it could be done rather easily... But no announcements have been made since then about this being fixed... I suspect the person has had many lunch hours since that time, so there is really no excuse. (isn't most of the neat stuff added to VMS during engineers' lunch hours ?)

Since then, I have had a few more thoughts on the subject.

When Mr Fred decides to spend a few minutes to change a few variables and recompile Flight, could he also spend a few minutes to add one little tiny feature which would be really neat ?

Perhaps during his lunch hour, Mr K could incorporate a live interface to Google Earth that would display real images of the ground below the aircraft based on its location, and provide the right image transformation/perspective corresponding to aircraft altitude and angle of view. (including curvature of earth when high enough). Real-time shading for day/night is not hard requirement at this time.

Shirley, this would be trivial for an engineer of the calibre we have come to expect for VMS and wouldn't take long to implement ?

In fact, I think that this SHOULD be budgeted for by VMS management since such a program would really showcase VMS as a modern operating system fully capable of making full use of the latest and greatest technologies. Flight would become something gamers would WANT to have and pout VMS out there on the map.

Note: I am not (yet) demanding that he integrate the rumoured Google Moon and Google Mars products.

Happy Friday !

Rumoured?
http://www.google.com/mars/
http://moon.google.com/ (don't zoom in too close)