Re: Alternative to (Re: Apache on OpenVMS 7.2 Alpha)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:21:47 -0700, Richard Maher <maher_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Josh,

I'm open to alternate ways to do this if there are
suggestions, but it would be nice to stay with using the COBOL to
actually access the datafiles (particularly for writes) because that
way a minimum of training and changes are required to staff to
implement the actual data changes.

There has been recent discussion in HP's ITRC forum about a similar COBOL
requirement and IMO you could do a lot worse than to read, fully, my replies
to each of the following threads. (Currently the last replies in each
thread)

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1110572
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1095466

The attachment to the first reply contains all the JavaScript and HTML
needed to put a browser-based GUI front-end on a VMS COBOL Queue Management
example application. The attachment to the second reply contains *ALL* of
the code that your application development staff would need to supply on the
server side. Just six User Action Routines in the form of a Shareable Image,
is all you have to provide for any VMS server application. (Whether you want
to talk to it via a Browser, .NET, Java, another VMS box, or even using
DECnet as a transport)

Your COBOL does not change - Your server development tools do not change.
You code is informed of the VMS username on whose behalf a request is being
made, and a matching Persona is made available for you if needed. You get a
full-duplex, conversational pipe with which to communicate with your client,
and server affinity is completely under your control. All network-connection
management, multi-threading, and server-process load-balancing is done for
you.

Anyway, If you'd like to see what it looks like in action (and especially
how easy a platform it is to develop on) then send me an e-mail.

Cheers Richard Maher

I have on my agendum (notice correct use of singular) to do the same for PL/I,
but we are going one step further by generating Java object classes (through the
good offices of SDL) for PL/I entry declarations, thus faciltating canning
(i.e., jar-ing) legacy apps. The same could be done for Cobol.