Re: Medical software vendor says it won't support OS on Itanium-based servers

In article <op.trf65cq7tte90l@hyrrokkin>,
"Tom Linden" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:57:10 -0700, Bill Gunshannon <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In article <op.trf4uwkptte90l@hyrrokkin>,
"Tom Linden" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:57:38 -0700, Bill Gunshannon <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In article <1177666922.680728.246390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Andrew <andrew_harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

My
guess is that Cerner is not interested in putting in the effort to do
this on Itanium.

Knowing the complexity of Cerner's product and taking into
consideration
the dubious future of Itanium (and with it, VMS) can you blame them?
This is one of those things that HP management should have anticipated
and either didn't, or just chose to ignore.

Bill, that isn't all of it. VW and Fiat will likely go to IBM for lack
of
PL/I and that is about 230 systems.

Well, I think it's all part of the same problem. Why is there a lack of
a PL/I compiler? Could it be because there does not appear to be enough
current business or future business to justify the work needed to port
the compiler? Same justification Cerner is probably using for their
decision. And does HP management care enough to do anything about it.
Sorry, rhetorical question.

There is plenty of business, and it doesn't cost HP anything for us to
hook up the compiler to a later version of GEM, other than business acumen.

So then, what was the meaning of your post? Why is it that "VW and Fiat
will likely go to IBM for lack of PL/I"?

bill

bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

  • Re: Medical software vendor says it wont support OS on Itanium-based servers
    ... the dubious future of Itanium ... a PL/I compiler? ... current business or future business to justify the work needed to port ... Same justification Cerner is probably using for their ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Medical software vendor says it wont support OS on Itanium-based servers
    ... the dubious future of Itanium ... current business or future business to justify the work needed to port ... Same justification Cerner is probably using for their ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Something is stepping on something
    ... robust code and take steps to ensure that you never overrun buffers. ... The Altos had a C compiler and I started to write code to support my ... C compiler is actually a front-end to Microsoft's C compiler. ... Since my business is managing money for people, not software design, I ...
    (comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc)
  • Re: GC performance - GC fragility
    ... to "concentrate" on the business requirements. ... *I* know about the data being looped over - something that the COMPILER ... you're not taking care of all the technical details yourself. ... --the programmer has ample time to manually specify what a programming ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Downloadable standards file?
    ... This is not the original version of lcc, that is C89, but lcc-win32 ... So your point is that I should buy your compiler, ... This is NONE of your business. ... "The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those ...
    (comp.lang.c)