Re: OT: One Laptop per Child

On Dec 11, 2:21 pm, AEF <spamsink2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 10, 3:38 am, hel...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Phillip Helbig---
remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:

In article
<7c16e6f4-35f6-44d8-8503-5765d580b...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AEF

<spamsink2...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Did you see the piece about this on "60 Minutes"?

No.

I heard a broadcast
of it on the radio and the point was that with this project,
attendance at schools in the Third World is way, way up because of
this laptop project. I well understand that much learning must be done
without computers, but at least this is getting the kids to go to
school. So I think the point is not that the kids have a laptop -- the
point is that the laptop gets the kids to go to school.

That might be true, but I doubt that that is the motivation for those
behind the project. Considering the cost, I'm sure that one could spend
the equivalent on almost anything else and get the children to school
with that as bait.

Like what? Soda? Candy? Just what they need.

Can you give us at least *some* idea of the horrors that will result
from this?

>----o----<

Well, here's the actual story. Unfortunately, it is lacking in details
on just exactly what do the kids do or get to do on the laptops:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/20/60minutes/main2830058.shtml

Follow the links at:
<http://www.laptop.org> and <http://wiki.laptop.org>

  • Re: OPLC purchase period extended
    ... attended in Zambia the 40 or so attendees were broken up into groups of 4-6. ... They told us of the small school ... And we're also helping these countries develop an essential ... you're buying a laptop for $199 and donating the remaining ...
    (soc.singles.moderated)
  • Did a School Use Webcams to Spy on Students at Home?
    ... Did a School Use Webcams to Spy on Students at Home? ... but your laptop may be watching you. ... School Webcam SpyingIn what's shaping up to be a Springer-worthy ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Doubleplusungood: Winston Smith attends HS in Pennsylvania.
    ... software was only to be used when a laptop was reported stolen. ... surreptitious snaps of the students and their surroundings even when ... they were out of school, in their own homes, with all the expectation ... All I've seen is the kid ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Doubleplusungood: Winston Smith attends HS in Pennsylvania.
    ... software was only to be used when a laptop was reported stolen. ... used when a laptop belonging to the school was reported stolen, ... testimony except that of the student who raised the complaint, ... All I've seen is the kid ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: OT Netbook or not?
    ... Julie Bove wrote: ... already have a desktop and husband has a laptop. ... Not online, she occasionally has to type up a ... stuff by about grade 4 for school. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)