Re: NTP on OpenVMS using TCPIP services

baldrick wrote:

SO the question is, is this an error in the documentation (or not very clear) or something introduced by using Windows that "peer" worked for the UNIX NTP server, but Windows (the replacement NTP server) requires "server" instead?

In the TCPIP$NTP.CONF file is says using "peer" is Client/Server mode where "the local host wants to obtain time from the remote server and is willing to supply time to the remote server."

Using "server" is Client mode is says "the local host wants to obtain time from the remote server but it is not willing to provide time to the remote server."

I have always used server as I don't see how my systems could supply a more accurate time to some other server than the time read. I would suspect that using "peer" would require more authentication than "server" to prevent a system trying to bias the time on someone else's server.

Jeff Coffield
www.digitalsynergyinc.com

  • Re: copy folder to remote server
    ... copy folder to remote server ... copy folder to remote server ... Your search - madunix - did not match any documents. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: [PHP] Communicating with remote server
    ... On the database server, under the control of it's web server, the script ... Communicating with remote server ... both my server and the remote server have webservers with PHP ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: where did all the files go
    ... the local web site folder to a remote test server and delete the local ... the pages to a remote server, are the files that are copied to the remote ... You can then back up the entire folder ... VS2005 has a Publish Web Site option that enables you to publish to ...
  • Re: Configuring GNOME to automatically start screensaver after user logged in - Fedora Core 6
    ... I can now remotely connect to the native X display of the ... remote server without having to log into the remote server first ... it presents me with a login and I am able to log in. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Trying to understand DCOMs network traffic
    ... I have a server object which runs as an out process exe on my remote ... has been created on the remote server and then goes happily on its way. ... Dim oRemoteServerObj as object ... Dim vResults as variant ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.com)