Re: Backup verify problems

AEF wrote:

$ COPY MAIL.MAI 1.TMP /ALLOC=440

$ BACK/COMP 1.TMP 2.TMP
%BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block 437 of DISK$DATA1:
[FELDMAN.MAILBOX]2.TMP;1
%BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block 438 of DISK$DATA1:
[FELDMAN.MAILBOX]2.TMP;1
%BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block 439 of DISK$DATA1:
[FELDMAN.MAILBOX]2.TMP;1
%BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block 440 of DISK$DATA1:
[FELDMAN.MAILBOX]2.TMP;1

I don't see how this can happen with BACKUP. COPY, yet; BACKUP no.

Allocated blocks after EOF seem to be able to cause trouble
this way. I know nothing, but I suspect that BACKUP stops
reading data at EOF, but (re-)creates and compares all blocks.
Data after EOF are unreliable, leading to miscompares.

SMS.

  • Re: Odd backup corruption
    ... %BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block ... %ANALDISK-W-READHEADER, file ... file header read error ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Backup verify problems
    ... I have reproduced the symptom: ... %BACKUP-E-VERIFYERR, verification error for block 437 of DISK$DATA1: ...
    (comp.os.vms)