Re: OT: Intel 2009 roadmap

In article <82dd9842-2918-4fa7-8d57-d0df22520196@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Neil Rieck <n.rieck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This idea pops up from time-to-time but I wonder if it isn't time to
raise it again. If HP has no interest in OpenVMS, then maybe they
should sell the whole division to Intel

What could possibly make Intel interested in buying VMS?

(who might pay to have it
ported to x86-64).

If they were having problems selling x86-64, that might be needed, but
they aren't. Other people are doing all the OSes they need to sell
chips at no cost to them at all.

If Intel doesn't want to pay real dollars then
maybe they could swap a year's worth of x86-64 silicon for the whole
OpenVMS division.

I doubt VMS would be worth a bucket of spit to Intel.

This way, Intel gets to become an enterprise server
company

They are a chip manufacturer, why would they want to be an "enterprise
server company"?

and HP gets to become a PC company.

HP already is a PC company.

Finally both companies get
what they want.

Seems to me that they both already have that without even factoring
VMS into the equation. Which does not bode well for VMS, does it?

bill

billg999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

  • Re: Reimplementing VMS, was: Re: HP adds OpenVMS Mature Product Support beyond the end of Standard S
    ... My sources told me that all 3 were evaluated for porting costs. ... I cannot feel that HP was very serious about VMS, and now that is rather apparent. ... Remember that this was during a period where Intel signalled it wanted ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Will VMS run on one of these?
    ... >I suspect that the Supermicro board is based on the Intel reference design ... >Intel reference design board. ... I hope to report that VMS boots on the Intel reference board. ... >another project an never have time to get the Intel board to boot VMS. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: FW: OT: Microsoft drop more Itanic support
    ... The 8086 is the key strategic product for Intel. ... get new ISV's on current platform or... ... remains a small niche market not bog enough to really allow VMS ... IF you admit that porting VMS to IA64 was a big mistake, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: FW: OT: Microsoft drop more Itanic support
    ... >>have NDAs with Intel that tell them the real plan with regards to 8086 ... No one tells me what I can say or not say in a newsgroup. ... Face it, Intel just won't affect IBM, and what else is there besides ... >>of VMS to 8086 actively limits VMS' potential for success, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Intel prepares to kill off the Pentium 4
    ... wouldn't you think it would have been better to port to AMD to ... Intel makes both the x86-64 and Itanium processors. ... Which has what to do with Intel buying VMS? ...
    (comp.os.vms)