Re: Should HP sell OpenVMS?

JF Mezei wrote:
[snip]
Remember that IBM already has its own clustering.

Well, yes and no. HACMP is not clustering as we OpenVMS people know it,
it's really more "fail-over detection and initiation" when one system in
a "cluster" fails. It also relies on storage infrastructure for "heart
beat" rather than network infrastructure. Kinda bizarre, but then HACMP
began life as a third-party product (read: kludge).

VMS clustering is "shared almost everything".

AIX clustering is "shared nothing", neither is there a simple way to
execute commands on every member of a cluster ala SYSMAN's DO command.

Remember that Palmer
donated clustering IP to Microsoft and to Oracle.

It seems, however, that only Oracle truly took the ball and ran with
with it.

D.J.D.

  • Re: HACMP and port scans
    ... Subject: HACMP and port scans ... > It appears that IBM's HACMP 4.4 clustering software can be induced to ... > fail simply by port scanning clustered machines, ... quiet, and we worked with Compaq to develop a patch. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Failover in seconds
    ... > doesn't address the underlying problem that the server to which requests ... > where VMS Clusters, with their Connection Manager and cluster-wide file ... I should point out that IBM has had a clustering product for some ... Originally known as HACMP/6000, later renamed to HACMP. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: HACMP and port scans
    ... Subject: HACMP and port scans ... > It appears that IBM's HACMP 4.4 clustering software can be induced to fail ... HACMP cluster servers to crash, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: opinions on aix clustering
    ... AIX's clustering is called HACMP - High Availability Cluster Multi ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • regatta environment terms, nodes, hacmp, frames
    ... this hacmp, clustering as well. ... to make my learning more challenging, i am exposed to other terms like ... nodes, and frames.. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)