Simple RMS question

I want to open a sequential file using RMS, append a single line and close it. It seemed to work but that was because I was using empty files to start or creating the file (FOP=CIF). When calling SYS$PUT I get the error %RMS-F-NEF which is not positioned to EOF on $PUT if the file is nonblank. Do I use SYS$FIND to position to EOF before the SYS$PUT?

  • Re: Relative file size changes with copying?
    ... >>protecting against errant programs. ... abnormal image rundowns tend to leave ... That sounds more like a bug in RMS, then: if it has the opportunity to ... surely it could update EOF as well if appropriate. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: EOF location?
    ... I was confusing EOR with EOF in a line sequential file. ... EOF in modern windows systems is recognised from the file size ... *> Create a simple text file with the characters 1 thru 8... ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Adding to binary files
    ... Is it possible in ProDOS to either combine file segments on ... you should be able to append to a file by doing OPEN ... SET_EOF past the current EOF and do a SET_MARK between the old EOF ... jmatthews at wright dot edu ...
    (comp.sys.apple2.programmer)
  • Re: fscanf
    ... It just says append is a possible mode with a+ also which is append-read mode. ... The value EOF is returned if the end of input is reached before either the first ... means checking the values returned by things like fscanf. ... Wouldn't you be curious, whether fscanf converted zero, one, or two items? ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: how to write to a file without race condition
    ... >>No, each of them will atomically seek to the current EOF, append their ... then the next one will write at the new EOF. ... (James Antill *agreed* with it, ... to set O_APPEND rather than using lseek(). ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)