Re: AXIS2/C, gSOAP

On Aug 20, 3:32 pm, "John Reagan" <johnrrea...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Neil Rieck" <n.ri...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:4b348bad-6985-4397-af41-
I am currently using BASIC 1.6 (for Alpha) and this switch is not
available. I can see in HP's most recent road map that they have
already released BASIC 1.7 and are working on BASIC 1.8. Can anyone
tell me if the "/name" switch is available in 1.8 or might be
available in 1.8 ?

I don't remember seeing /NAME for BASIC on any of roadmaps (but then again,
I don't look much anymore).  Such features this are usually added based on
customer requests instead of just adding it to every compiler 'just for
fun'.    Also some languages like BLISS and Pascal have language syntax for
alternative spellings for externals (and allow mixed cased strings) so no
DCL qualifier is/was needed.

I suggest you send in your request.

John

That's too bad because something like this would allow BASIC programs
to more easily link to other object files.

But to be honest, I remember the huge amount of re-engineering that
went into making Visual BASIC 6 become Visual BASIC .NET so that VB
could generate code similar to other MS languages. The changes caused
a small revolt amongst the VB user community. I guess I was hoping
that HP would revamp VMS BASIC in a different way (like making
variables case sensitive with the "/names" compiler switch seen
elsewhere.

I still have my fingers crossed but am not holding my breath :-)

Neil Rieck
Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/OpenVMS.html

  • Re: [SLE] RedHat Amateur SuSe Newbie Question
    ... can anyone give me an objective reason to switch to ... > suse can be installed gratis from ftp servers around the world. ... > your students a disservice by teaching specific languages as opposed ... languages as the medium for the teaching. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Factory Design Pattern and Select Case
    ... Maybe you're assuming a switch is done by an integer code which rarely ... Some languages even have literal ... Calling the constructor is code, knowing what constructor to call is ... literals in most languages, and even for hashtables in fewer languages), ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Factory Design Pattern and Select Case
    ... select statements are innocent until proven guilty. ... switch to the status of fine art. ... >>name with a type In more flexible languages you'd ... Hashtables are not switches no matter how much you want to handwave ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Factory Design Pattern and Select Case
    ... > switch to the status of fine art. ... It is an order of magnitude faster than a hash table. ... Some languages even have literal ... Plus, hashtables can be dynamically altered if needed, and ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: AXIS2/C, gSOAP
    ... I am currently using BASIC 1.6 and this switch is not ... I can see in HP's most recent road map that they have ... customer requests instead of just adding it to every compiler 'just for ... Also some languages like BLISS and Pascal have language syntax for ...
    (comp.os.vms)