Re: SSH

In article
<df8d248a-64d2-42c2-97ea-fd74dedda748@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Neil
Rieck <n.rieck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

2) SSH is based upon port 22. If the source computer can't connect to
the destination computer on port 22 (lets say it was due to a
misconfigured firewall or proxy-server) then other technologies like
SFTP and SCP have no chance of working.

So SSH, SFTP and SCP all go to port 22 by default?

3) There is no way to programatically pass a password to SSH (or SCP
or SFTP) and this short-coming is "by design" because the developers
wanted to stop people from placing passwords in scripts.

Seems like a good idea.

4) So the developers of this technology replaced "password
authentication" with "2-key authentication". Once the keys are in
place, changing the destination account's password will not block
future connection events. You've got to delete the key file (or modify
one of the SSH2 configuration files)

Good to keep in mind.

  • Re: Cannot access an external SFTP site from behind SBS 2003 R2/ISA 2004! HELP!!!
    ... the sFTP usual uses SSL 22 port. ... If you want ISA to allow ... Microsoft is providing this information as aconvenience to you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is FTP broken in 10.4.9 ?
    ... FTP won't work either on Yummy or Transmit. ... Only thing that works is port 22 and SFTP. ... Download and run Lingon and see if you have an entry for com.apple.ftp under System Daemons. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: How to get sftp more secure?
    ... SSH is good to use, but it lead out one safety question, if you keep port ... '22' open, someone may use sftp to transfer data, it's not permited in our ... To disable sftp, you can eliminate the Subsystem sftp line from ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: SFTP working but not SSH
    ... Yes Can the port for SSH and SFTP be the same? ... the server must run a program. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: sftp vs ftp with ssl
    ... > I've been trying to get up an secure ftp server on linux platform, ... > This utillity support both sftp and ftp tls/ssl. ... My firewall has just one hole in it: TCP, port 22. ... claim you don't need anything more than the OpenSSH package (and maybe ...
    (Security-Basics)